Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import midi file with tempo, meter changes into GarageBand 10.0.x

Hi,

I'm trying to import a MIDI file which has a lot of tempo and time signature changes that a friend sent me into GarageBand 10.0.3. I can import the file okay, at least after importing it plays back and the sounds are reasonable, but it always opens as 4/4 @ 120 bpm no matter what the tempo and meter actually are in the MIDI file. This can cause the song to play back too fast or too slow, and the downbeats don't line up. I can open the same MIDI file in another app and the tempo and meter changes were retained, so I know it's not a problem with the MIDI file. I'm sure I must be overlooking something... otherwise does anyone know of a workaround?

Thanks!

GarageBand 10, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 10:57 PM

3 replies

Mar 10, 2015 5:14 AM in response to ProgBass

GarageBand does support tempo changes, but does not support meter changes. All measures in one project need to have the same meter.

There are two possible work-arounds: Either ignore the bars in GarageBand, or split the project and make separate projects for the different time signatures. Then bounce the parts separately and combine the audio files in a new project.

To adjust the tempo use the Tempo Track and change the tempo locally by adjusting the Tempo automation curve. I don't know of a way to extract the tempo changes automatically from the Midi file.

Mar 13, 2015 11:12 PM in response to léonie

Okay, check this out. I learned that Logic Pro X will import standard midi files and will retain the song's tempo and meter. You have to go to File > Open and then select a midi file to import it in this manner though. If you have a Logic Project with an existing track, even if the track is empty, then if you drag and drop your midi file the song will get imported but it will be like GarageBand where it is in 4/4 @ 120bpm for the entire song. The first time I tried to import a file into Logic I tried the drag and drop method because that's how I learned to do it in GB. Then I tried File > Import > MIDI File in Logic but it was still in 4/4 @ 120bpm. Finally I learned that if you go to File > Open then you can open (i.e. import) midi files, and like I said it retains the tempo and meter. Yes!

Then I thought I should try the same thing in GarageBand. Even in the GarageBand Help it explains how to import a midi file by using drag and drop so I wasn't hopeful. Bug I tried it (File > Open) and I'll be danged if it didn't import the midi file and retain the tempo and meter! (see picture below) I'll be using Logic for a lot of stuff in the future anyway but it's good to know I can open a midi file in GarageBand to quickly audition a song. And my bandmate that has GarageBand (but not Logic) can do the same so I can be assured we're hearing the same thing. This is fantastic.

User uploaded file

BTW, if you import a midi file using drag and drop (either app) I said above it will always import in 4/4 @ 120bpm. But I tested it some more and it will stay at whatever meter and tempo you have in the original file before you start the import process.

Import midi file with tempo, meter changes into GarageBand 10.0.x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.