Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded Yosemite and have now lost all photos, iPhoto has been completely deleted from my Macbook

Upgraded Yosmite now iPhotos has been completely deleted from Macbook

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 11:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2015 12:50 AM

How did you upgrade to Yosemite?

now iPhotos has been completely deleted from Macbook

Upgrading the system will not delete applications, only mark them as incompatible. An older iPhoto version, that does not run on Yosemite, will look like this in the Finder and be removed from the Dock.

User uploaded file

You need to upgrade to iPhoto 9.6. If you do not see an update at the AppStore on your Updates page, go to the AppStore main page:

• Move iPhoto.app from your applications folder to the Trash.
  • Launch the App Store.
  • Sign in with your AppleID in the Store menu.
  • Click the first tab "Featured" and enter iphoto into the search field. Hit the "Return/Enter" key.

You should be seeing something similar to this:

User uploaded file

If you see iPhoto, download it.

And hurry to do so. iPhoto will soon no longer be available from the App Store.

After installing the update/upgrade, make a backup copy of your iPhoto library, before you open the newly installed version of iPhoto for the first time. iPhoto will need to upgrade your iPhoto Library, and that is safer, if you have a backup copy.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2015 12:50 AM in response to Grasons

How did you upgrade to Yosemite?

now iPhotos has been completely deleted from Macbook

Upgrading the system will not delete applications, only mark them as incompatible. An older iPhoto version, that does not run on Yosemite, will look like this in the Finder and be removed from the Dock.

User uploaded file

You need to upgrade to iPhoto 9.6. If you do not see an update at the AppStore on your Updates page, go to the AppStore main page:

• Move iPhoto.app from your applications folder to the Trash.
  • Launch the App Store.
  • Sign in with your AppleID in the Store menu.
  • Click the first tab "Featured" and enter iphoto into the search field. Hit the "Return/Enter" key.

You should be seeing something similar to this:

User uploaded file

If you see iPhoto, download it.

And hurry to do so. iPhoto will soon no longer be available from the App Store.

After installing the update/upgrade, make a backup copy of your iPhoto library, before you open the newly installed version of iPhoto for the first time. iPhoto will need to upgrade your iPhoto Library, and that is safer, if you have a backup copy.

May 5, 2015 10:47 AM in response to madamealexander

HELP! I seem to have missed the boat on downloading iphoto! I also upgraded but only just noticed that I don't have my photos. How can I get them back?

Is there still an iPhoto Library in your Pictures folder?

if you did not update to iPhoto version 9.6.1 before updating to MacOS X 10.10.3, your iPhoto version will be incompatible. Only iPhoto 9.6.1 is fully compatible.

To update, see this User Tip: Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

Upgraded Yosemite and have now lost all photos, iPhoto has been completely deleted from my Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.