Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow wake-up from sleep

My Mid-2012 MacBookPro 13" has major problems waking from sleep. It is slightly different each day but generally the sequence is as follows:

1) Lift lid followed by a slight delay then either:

2) Wake-up sound --or-- 2a) Blank screen and no activity. Pressing the space bar or Power button then generates Wake-up sound

3) Screen wakes and the activity bars at the bottom of the screen light up over a period of about 10 seconds

4) Spinning beach-ball appears and runs for about 30-45 seconds

5) Mouse pointer appears but is inactive

6) Login screen appears but does not accept keyboard input

7) After 45-90 seconds the screen will go black and then return after which the keyboard can input the password

I have had three other MacBookPros over the years but this is the first that has acted like this. Apart from the wake-up process the machine runs well.

Any help would be gratefully received

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 9, 2015 1:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2015 1:47 AM

Reset PRAM. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18761

Reset SMC. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Choose the appropriate method.

Choose the method for:

"Resetting SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own".

Start up in Safe Mode. http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1564

Best.

4 replies

Mar 9, 2015 4:31 AM in response to dominic23

Thanks for the prompt response, I have done as you suggested but have now moved from the original problem which was an irritation to a full blown crisis. I followed the instructions and reset the SMC then rebooted into Safe Mode, unfortunately the system seems to have forgotten who I am! It no longer recognises my password (although after a few of attempts it has given me my password hint though it still doesn't recognise the password) so in essence I'm locked out...

I do not imply any criticism here, I'm sure the advice was entirely appropriate...it's just that I now have a different problem

Mar 9, 2015 6:19 AM in response to Frigatebird

A

First, make sure caps lock is not on.

Another reason why the password might not be recognized is that the keyboard layout (input source) has been switched without your realizing it. You can select one of the available layouts by choosing from the flag menu in the upper right corner, if it's showing, or cycle through them by pressing the key combination command-space or command-option-space. See also this support article.

If the user account is associated with an Apple ID, and you know the Apple ID password, then maybe theApple ID can be used to reset your user account password. In OS X 10.10 and later, this option also works with FileVault, but only if you enabled it when you activated FileVault. It's not retroactive.

Otherwise*, start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities window appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar at the top of the screen—not from any of the items in the OS X Utilities window.

In the window that opens, type this:

resetp

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window opens. Close the Terminal window to get it out of the way.

Select the startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected. You won't be able to do this if FileVault is active.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Follow the prompts to reset the password. It's safest to choose a password that includes only the characters a-z, A-Z, and 0-9.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

You should now be able to log in with the new password, but the Keychain will be reset (empty.) If you've forgotten the Keychain password (which is ordinarily the same as the login password), there's no way to recover it.

*Note: If you've activated FileVault, this procedure doesn't apply. Follow instead these instructions.

B

With the Power Nap feature enabled, the computer enters a so-called standby mode after it has been in sleep on battery power for more than a certain time (one hour, by default.) In that mode, the contents of memory are saved to a file, and then the power is turned off. When the computer wakes up, the contents of memory are restored from the file. As a result, waking from sleep takes longer than it otherwise would. The benefit is that sleep can be prolonged indefinitely without draining the battery or having to restart the computer.

Late-model Macs are configured to enter standby after four hours in sleep while on AC power, in order to comply with a directive of the European Union. That behavior doesn't depend on the status of Power Nap.

You have three choices. One is to do nothing. Use the machine as designed. That's what I recommend.

The second choice is to disable Power Nap in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences. Uncheck the box marked Enable Power Nap... in each of the tabs. You won't get the wake delay anymore, but you won't get any of the features of Power Nap either. The wake delay while on AC power won't be affected.

The third choice is to increase the delay before standby mode is triggered, or to disable standby mode completely. This is an unsupported option and you're on your own as to the consequences. If you choose to go this route, proceed as below. These instructions are for advanced users only.

Back up all data before making any changes.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Drag across the line below to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

sudo pmset –a standbydelay

Don't copy the blank space at the end of the line.

Launch the Terminal application.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. Press the space bar, then type the delay you want, in seconds. For example, if you want to change the standby delay from the default one hour to eight hours, enter 28800. Don't put commas or other punctuation marks in the number. To disable standby, enter 0 (zero.)

When the command is complete, press return. You'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. After running it, quit Terminal. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

To disable standby on AC power, enter this command:

sudo pmset autopoweroff 0

and to revert to the default state,

sudo pmset autopoweroff 1

Slow wake-up from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.