Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell U2515h recognized as TV

I recently got the Dell U2515h monitor. I use it with an early 2013 rMBP in clamshell mode. I know the text is fuzzier because the monitor simple has a smaller resolution at a larger surface (1440p 25inch). Nothing wrong here. I read at http://www.ireckon.net/2013/03/force-rgb-mode-in-mac-os-x-to-fix-the-picture-qua lity-of-an-external-monitor that OS X marks some (Dell) monitors as television and outputs YCbCr instead of RGB wich caused fuzzier text and bad colors. I looked in system report and my monitor connected with minidisplayport (thunderbolt port) to displayport is also marked as Television : yes. When I looked in the monitor menu it tells me the color input is RGB. This leaves me to believe the macbook does output the right RGB color space. My question: does OS X change anything else about the text or screen in general when it tinks the display is a TV?

Since I come from a Retina display I can't determine if the text is right or if there's a problem because OS X sees the dell monitor as TV.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10), GHOSTING

Posted on Mar 9, 2015 4:59 AM

3 replies

Dec 5, 2015 3:14 PM in response to MattTheMedic

Hello!

I'm really curious if you got any conclusion of your questions? I have a new Dell U2414H which also is found as "TV" in the OS X system information. My monitor says that the input is RGB, and if and try to change the monitor to YCbCr, the screen goes bananas with green color all over. I wonder if i can come to the conclusion that everything is alright, even though I get then "TV" in the system info? I have also connected my screen to my MBP mid-2012, 15" via the included MDP-DP cable.

What i have noticed is that in Airplay Menu, the Dell Monitor is connected as a TV - the same info as in the system info that is.

How can I tell if the signal that goes out from the MBP is RGB or YCbCr? And how can I tell if "all is good" with my MPB / Dell Monitor setup?

I have found scripts to fix problems like this, but I find no interest in trying scripts if everything is fine... Btw, I have got two choices of refresh rate settings in the Display Preferences. Both are NTSC 60 Hz... and there is also one that is PAL 50 Hz. It feels a bit weird to see Pal and Ntsc info, when all I'm using is a normal screen, not a TV.

Regards,

Fredrik

Feb 28, 2016 3:35 AM in response to Fredrik

In my experience, the mac does output the right RGB spectrum. Your monitor going bananas on YCbCr is a sign that RGB is put out. I also tried the scrips that force the mac to think tv=no, but there was no visible difference. Also the info window in OS X says: ARGB8888, the normally means it's outputting the full 0-255 color spectrum.

So on OS X everything appears to work fine.

(In windows (bootcamp) with some programs like VLC, I had to open up NVIDIA settings and set the color spectrum to 0-255 manually.)

Dell U2515h recognized as TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.