Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a very old iPhone, think 2007, it is charging but will not sync with iTunes

I have a very old iPhone which I have just charged. It will not sync with iTunes and will only do emergency calls. I want to use the camera on it as a monitor. What can I do?

In iTunes it is coming up with the following message:

We're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time.

Please try again later, or contact customer care.

Posted on Mar 9, 2015 5:42 AM

1 reply

Mar 9, 2015 6:10 AM in response to martinandann

In order to activate and use the phone, you might need a SIM card from the original provider. To use a phone without a SIM, the phone has to be a activated first.

Using an iPhone without a wireless service plan

If you upgrade your iPhone to a newer model, you can continue using your old iPhone without an active cellular service.
This article has been archived and is no longer updated by Apple.

Follow these steps to use your iPhone without a wireless service plan:

1. Insert the SIM card from your new, activated iPhone or one that was previously used to activate the original iPhone.
  2. Connect the iPhone to iTunes on a computer connected to the Internet.

Once iTunes activates the device, you're free to use the iPhone as if it were an iPod touch.

Note: It may be necessary to repeat this process after updating or restoring the device.

copied from:

Using an iPhone without a wireless service plan

I have a very old iPhone, think 2007, it is charging but will not sync with iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.