Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which is the the best 4K TV monitor around 50 inches for the Mac Mini 2014 (3 GHz, I7, 16GB RAM)?

Which is the the best 4K TV monitor around 50 inches for the Mac Mini 2014 (3 GHz, I7, 16GB RAM)?

Mac mini (Late 2014)

Posted on Mar 9, 2015 7:03 AM

7 replies

Mar 9, 2015 11:31 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks for the reply.

I am thinking of buying a 4K TV anyway so just wanted to check which model/brand should work the best for the Mac Mini. I currently have a Samsung LED 1080p that I don't find works very well with the Mac Mini. Not very clear in details and I have heard of others having problems with combining Mac and Samsung products. Is that anything you have experienced?

Mar 13, 2015 3:26 AM in response to lllaass

Right now its a Samsung UA46D6600 and I have connected it with a HDMI cable. I have tried all different settings imaginable. The Picture is "OK" but I find straight diagonal contours in graphics are not displayed like a straight line but more like a zig zag pattern if you know what I mean?

The reason I asked the question from the beginning was because I have been thinking of upgrading to a 4K TV anyways and just wanted to see if anyone else have connected their 2014 Mac Mini to a 4K TV and what different experiences they might have had with different brands and modells. I have heard somewhere that there have been problems between apple products and Samsungs TVs in the past.

Apr 4, 2015 9:54 AM in response to VikingDubai

I have heard somewhere that there have been problems between apple products and Samsungs TVs in the past.

I have experienced the same. When using Apple products try to avoid Google, Samsung, and Sony. Although, the real culprit may be the Hollywood cartel, they have multiple copy protection schemes that can interfere with legitimate customers.

Apr 7, 2015 2:36 AM in response to VikingDubai

There are two possible interfaces by which you can connect a 4K display to a Mac, one is Displayport and the other is HDMI, however HDMI 1.4a only supports 4K at a maximum of 30fps, to get 4K at 60fps you would need HDMI 2.0. Unfortunately no Mac ever made so far - including the 'new' Mac Pro supports HDMI 2.0. Adding support for HDMI 2.0 requires a video card that supports it so no current Macs can be upgraded to HDMI 2.0 either.

Note: While in theory a 'classic' Mac Pro can be fitted with a GTX 980 card which does have a HDMI 2.0 port this is not supported (yet) under OS X, it only runs at HDMI 1.4a mode.

Displayport 1.2 which is supported by current Macs can do 4K at 60fps, however there is a grand total of one TV make in the entire world which supports Displayport, all other 4K TVs use only HDMI 2.0. See http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/viera-televisions/led/tx-l65wt600b.html

As a reminder, the latest Mac mini has Mini Displayport 1.2 and HDMI 1.4a interfaces and as Illaass says can do a maximum of 4K at 30fps. The previous Mac mini does not officially support 4K at all. Since the Mac mini can only do a maximum of 30fps it might be considered an inadequate choice from a 4K point of view, a Mac Pro, or MacBook Pro Retina would be alternative but more expensive choices which do support 4K at 60fps.

There are numerous 4K computer displays which will support using Displayport and remember Mini Displayport is 100% compatible with Displayport it is just a different type of cable/connector. As Illaass again says best is a subjective choice. Some criteria to consider include the following.

• Computer gamers are often concerned about getting a display with the fastest possible refresh rate, it happens that TN type screens (Twisted Nemetic) have a faster refresh than IPS screens (In Plane Switching), refresh in this case is not exactly the same thing as frames per second, however it does also mean that some TN screens can even do 120 or more frames per second (at less than 4K resolution). IPS screens have better colour accuracy, better viewing from an angle and various other superiorities over TN screens. Apple's own screens are all IPS
  • Related to the above TN 4K screens are likely to be cheaper than IPS 4K screens
  • Some 4K screens can do 4K at 60fps via SST (Single Stream Transport), some require using MST (Multi Stream Transport), OS X is very poor at supporting MST so getting a screen which supports 4K at 60fps via SST would be an advantage
  • Not really related to 4K but Apple still do not support 10bit colour depths so buying a screen purely on this criteria would be a waste of time and money

In theory an active Displayport (or Mini Displayport) to HDMI 2.0 adapter is possible, currently no such adapter exists but several articles suggest these might become available this summer. This would then let you use the Mini Displayport interface on a Mac and connect to a 4K TV which uses only HDMI 2.0.

There are some so called Mini Displayport to HDMI adapters already on the market claiming 4K support but these use HDMI 1.4a and are limited to a maximum of 30fps at 4K. There are some dodgy Amazon market place resellers conning people over this - check the reviews.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.