Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 09 version 4.3 keeps crashing

Running OS 10.9.5 Mavericks on a new iMac

Ever since I upgraded to Mavericks, Pages crashes continuously (usually when I forget to save in the last 5 minutes which I have to remember to do to use it at all).

The new Pages is too useless - I have too much invested in templates and forms that don't work so downgrading to Pages 5? is not an option.

I read the post where the second monitor was the problem but I don't have a second monitor. The only usb attached device is a WD 3 TB hard drive. Removing it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Lots of users seem to have this problem - why hasn't Apple fixed it?? They get 4 or 5 crash reports from me almost every day - they must get thousands a day from all users?

Thanks for any help.

Posted on Mar 9, 2015 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 4:34 PM

Does Pages '09 crash when saving documents to your internal drive, external drive, or iCloud?

Have you run Disk Utility and verified/repaired permissions on your boot drive, and then verified the drive itself?

Are you running a font manager and removed/deactivated any System fonts? Added any new fonts that may not be Mac compatible?

Have you booted into Safe Boot mode to clear and rebuild System caches, including the System and user font caches?

1. Boot your Mac. At the chime, press and hold the shift key until you see a gray horizontal progress bar
  2. At the login prompt
    1. Enter your password, then press and hold the shift key as you click the right-arrow to proceed.
    2. Continue holding the shift key until all of your Desktop icons have repainted
  3. Move the contents of your home/Library/Caches to the Trash, but do not empty the Trash.
  4. In Safe Boot mode, does Pages work and save documents properly?
  5. Perform a normal reboot, and go ahead and empty your Trash.

Post back with an update about Pages '09 stability after the above.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2015 4:34 PM in response to BestDadGad

Does Pages '09 crash when saving documents to your internal drive, external drive, or iCloud?

Have you run Disk Utility and verified/repaired permissions on your boot drive, and then verified the drive itself?

Are you running a font manager and removed/deactivated any System fonts? Added any new fonts that may not be Mac compatible?

Have you booted into Safe Boot mode to clear and rebuild System caches, including the System and user font caches?

1. Boot your Mac. At the chime, press and hold the shift key until you see a gray horizontal progress bar
  2. At the login prompt
    1. Enter your password, then press and hold the shift key as you click the right-arrow to proceed.
    2. Continue holding the shift key until all of your Desktop icons have repainted
  3. Move the contents of your home/Library/Caches to the Trash, but do not empty the Trash.
  4. In Safe Boot mode, does Pages work and save documents properly?
  5. Perform a normal reboot, and go ahead and empty your Trash.

Post back with an update about Pages '09 stability after the above.

Apr 26, 2015 4:39 PM in response to BestDadGad

Thanks for the help.

It seems I must have had 2 problems - I had a bad font and removed it and then replaced it with a good font.

This helped - Pages crashed less often but still crashed. I believe the other reason it was crashing had to do with the external hard drive drivers? It seemed that the Pages crashes were triggered by Time Machine when the external backup drive came out of sleep mode.

I have since upgraded to Yosemite and the hard drive related crashing seems to have stopped. So far so good

Thanks for your help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.