Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't see boot disc

Using Mac OS 10.6.8 on my MacPro, but have 10.7 (something) newly installed on another disc.

The 10.6.8 is my "default" disc for the time being.

But why doesn't the 10.7 show up among the system preferences startup disc options while the disc itself does when I launch Disk Utility?

(Oh, sorry for not using those cat names or whatever for the systems. Never learned to remember the order of Lion, Snow Leopard, etc, whilst 10.6, 10.7 a.s.o. is pretty obvious...)

Posted on Mar 9, 2015 11:36 AM

9 replies

Mar 9, 2015 9:50 PM in response to Kappy

Both disks are absolutely fine and so are the systems on bth of them.

I just reset the NVDram (Opt Cmd P R) and the computer booted right away and nicely from the 10.7 (which actually is 10.10. Sorry).

Then, hoping everything was OK, I went back to the 10.6 disk. But the 10.10 still won't show.

Mar 10, 2015 11:10 AM in response to Community User

Got a response from Eric Root (notified by mail). But I can't see that reply in the thread. Sigh....

Here's what Eric wrote:

That is normal. The 10.6 Startup Disk software isn't able to recognize 10.10 due to changes. My 10.6 partition does the same thing.

Per se, it doesn't solve the problem, but at least I got an explanation. Why Apple won't make their various systems recognize each other is another story...

If anybody knows a remedy, please holler.....

Thanks, Eric.

Mar 11, 2015 1:50 PM in response to tjk

tjk,

Yeah, tried that right away and the 10.10 disc shows fine. Could even select it. But not "activate" it. I.e. used arrow keys to select it and the arrow beneath the disc symbol were marked. Could even mark/select the actual disc symbol. But after that, I couldn't make anything happen regardless what I did (clicked with mouse, hit "enter" or whatever...).

Dan

Mar 12, 2015 12:07 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

The 10.10 disc is formatted Extended (Journaled) and has GUID Partition table.

Visible in the disk utility, but not as startup disk in system preferences.

I've got an MacPro (i.e. not book). In the computer world, it's old as ****. I think it's an early 2008.

Dan

Can't see boot disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.