Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wondering if anyone knows specific year term "vintage" first used?

These are some of my apple purchases, printers and other misc left out. I am writing an article and would like to correctly identify the year apple first used the term "vintage" to identify products older than 5 years old. Thanks

LC 1993 with black and white portrait monitor

Quadra 1994

G3

iBook G3 14.1 still works to run system 9 and pre OS

Powerbook 2001 Titanium

iPod first generation

Cinema Display

G4

G5

Cinema Display HD

Apple TV first generation

iPhone first

iPad first generation

Mac Mini

iPhone

Airport first generation

Cinema Display HD23

iMac for mom 2008 tricked out

Mac Pro Early 2009 Quad Cor 2.93

Apple Cinema Display 30”

Airport Extreme 2ond maybe third generation

MacBook Pro 15

MacBook Pro 17

another iPhone never again

MacBook Pro 13

MacBook Pro 15

Posted on Mar 9, 2015 2:19 PM

2 replies

Mar 13, 2015 11:20 AM in response to SweetPeao1o1o1o

Here is a list of Apple's vintage and obsolete products. Vintage and obsolete products - Apple Support

Apple uses the word a bit differently; they consider products that have not been manufactured for more than 5 and less than 7 years ago, vintage. Products out of manufacture for 7 or more years, are considered 'obsolete'. This is different from how some collectors and eBay sellers refer to older products (e.g. some people still refer to the Apple II as a vintage computer even though it has been on the obsolete list for quite some time.)

The proper use of the word 'vintage' isn't so clean cut, and you will see it used so many different ways. The proper way to use it is by indicating the year or decade the item is associated with. For example: "vintage 1990's or vintage 1994". This means, yes the late 2008 MacBook pro could be considered vintage even though it's not even 7 years old. What matters is there is a set manufacturing period/time outlined.

A lot of people forget/aren't aware of the word's origins, and therefore don't know how to use it. Instead of indicating which time period/year it is vintage of, they continue to use vintage as a subjective description of age. Vintage was originally coined and used in vineyards and winemaking. It comes from the French word vendage which refers to the grapes picked at a vineyard within a specific season. This identifying phrase was then applied to many other industries which obviously include electronics.

Mar 22, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Apple3.141592

That makes sense to be specific, but I mean only to speak about the computer industry and Apple. I remember a sudden shift. A term I had never heard used for Apple computers was being used by Tech support, Apple. Maybe it was around the same time Apple Care was instituted. I wonder now what year Apple Care was made available or if it was always available. I have no special memory about that. But I do remember calling Apple and suddenly hearing the term vintage. I asked around at the time. Yes now 5-7 year old computers are being called vintage. But I don't remember what year it was. Anyway I do appreciate your thoughts and reading. Thank you.

Wondering if anyone knows specific year term "vintage" first used?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.