Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why did apple ditch the light up apple logo

the light up apple logo is on the apple stores, all apple laptops and has been in apple commercials dedicated to the stickers that hi light on the light up apple logo but now with the new macbook there is no light just a cold hard metal dark and unexciting.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 9, 2015 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2017 7:28 AM

I think it really ***** that Apple ditched the lighted logo!!!!!! I bought Apple MacBooks, because I thought they looked unique, not like Dell, HP, etc... Now, Apple look like every other laptop. Nice going Apple!!! It may have been a smarter business move to ask the public what they thought. That's what I would have done!!!

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2017 7:28 AM in response to samfromsd1995

I think it really ***** that Apple ditched the lighted logo!!!!!! I bought Apple MacBooks, because I thought they looked unique, not like Dell, HP, etc... Now, Apple look like every other laptop. Nice going Apple!!! It may have been a smarter business move to ask the public what they thought. That's what I would have done!!!

Feb 2, 2017 6:41 AM in response to moviemaker2017

I too think, the glowing logo was giving Apple computers a unique portrait on work desk, in a lecture room, and it was giving their users a hype of unique quality because no one doesn't know that MacBooks are expensive, undoubtedly because of their unique appearance and undisputed quality!
I think it's okay for the handheld devices like the iPhones and iPads not to glow because it saves the user a loss to behold thieves laying in wait to snatch great stuff from owners. It also secures the user's life because (for instance in Africa) a thug can clobber your head with an iron bar just because they saw you hold an apple from a distance. They will see it from a far and directly come for your life because to them killing you and taking what they desire is no hard-bone!

I would still advocate for the glowing back Apple light for MacBooks, the symbol is a statement of uniqueness and legacy in quality!! It's not of any risk to computers. It's okay for iPads and iPhone not to have.
Also, I think it'll be so easy for cloners to make clones of MacBooks or fake MacBooks which hasn't been the case with computers than with iPhones and iPads. Fake products have been so easily leaked to customers unrecognized symply because it's so easy for the smith to engrave an unglowing Apple symbol on the back of a metal casing (iPads & iPhones) than it's been to put a MacBook with a glowing Apple.
The challenge then is that; Apple Inc. should find some unique symbol of their product quality because the Apple imprint/ engravement will start appearing as an ordinary symbol for computers and it will give consumers a headache to sort a genuine Apple MacBook from a clone apple macbook made by freelance electronics business companies! This will make customers think that Apple's quality has gotten diluted and thus not choose Mac computers for the best desired quality, because they will start buying Apple computers that will break down in a month with no restoration warranted. Many more fake Apple products are going to mushroom the market!!!!!!!!

MacBook user; 5.2 Early 2009. No major complaints for close to 5 years.

Mar 9, 2015 5:15 PM in response to ShirleyPeters001

ShirleyPeters001 wrote:

My guess is that they felt the light up apple too intrusive. Notice how it's always hidden in movies and on TV? That is the beginning of a backlash. Only the converted love it. Getting rid of the backlight, making a reflective apple, makes it more subtle, and pre-empts the critics.

Actually, it is hidden on TV so the producer of the show doesn't have to pay Apple money for advertising their product.

Mar 9, 2015 9:42 PM in response to stedman1

My understanding is that Apple does not require payment when their products are used in shows. That would be the opposite of advertising. Normally, product placement works the other way around: the show is paid, not the advertiser. If the Apple logo is hidden in a show, it is usually because the producers do not wish to appear that they are endorsing any particular product. Unlike other products used on set, the Apple logo is so prominent that it is a challenge to genericize without covering it up.

Most of the reasoning in this thread doesn't make sense. It isn't because the light is too intrusive, and it isn't just the converted that like it. Those are sweeping generalizations.

It is much more likely that the non-glowing Apple logo on the new MacBook is just a regular Apple evolution of style. For example, the three colors in the MacBook are new to the Mac line, but they are identical to the iPhone/iPad line. Well guess what, the Apple logo has never glowed in the iPhone/iPad line. Therefore Apple may have simply decided to bring over the non-glowing Apple logo from the iOS devices to the Mac, just as they brought over the colors and brought over many of iOS user interface conventions to OS X.

Mar 10, 2015 5:14 PM in response to ShirleyPeters001

ShirleyPeters001 wrote:

The board is located in the hinge edge of the tray: not in the centre. So maybe this was a decision based on space economy.

Yes, that is a likely explanation. It's been said that the new MacBook's lid is so thin that there isn't as much room to allow a hole for the screen backlight to show through the logo while still providing enough structural support for the screen.

The media has noticed:

Apple's Glowing Laptop Lid is No More

Apple quietly killed its glowing logo today

why did apple ditch the light up apple logo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.