Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to print list of file contents of a HDD

Hi Everyone!

(Sorry for using a quote---The copy/paste from my old Text Editor does not work here.... why not? Only if I am doing a quote)

I have a Mac G4 (yes) with Tiger 10.4.11 (yes still) and I have two backup drives.... They should be evenly "filled" but there is over 26 GB difference so that one is going to be running out of space sooner than I want it to. I have 100's of files... I need some program that works under Tiger to either:

1. Print the contents of the HDD (the file names/sizes, etc---there is something that does this in Windows, why not Mac?).

or

2. A program that compares the contents automatically between the two HDD's. Again I have used one on PC's but its really old and company no longer makes it for PC's. Is there one for Mac? I have no idea how to express it to look it up. (I never have both of the HDD's all hooked up by Firewire at same time---afraid of overloading old Mac).... so only if there is a program that does this working under Tiger would I then come back here to ask a question for how to get the two drives hooked up to compare the contents and find out what is taking up extra space.

Mostly the drives have iPhoto items in it so it could be simply a double-entered iPhoto Roll/Album---but never thinking I'd have to compare them---most of the titles begin the same exact way---too difficult to go over unless I can cross off a printed sheet to compare the two drives---or have a computer do that for me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading me!

Mac_Help

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Apple Chip not Intel chip

Posted on Mar 9, 2015 5:43 PM

15 replies

Mar 10, 2015 8:40 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua!

Thanks for your great reply! So quick too!

I'm trying to type out a reply about your answer... I'm using Text Edit to compose it... But for some strange reason on 10.4.11, copy paste does not let me copy what I wrote there into this "Reply" form. Only if I hit the "Quote" button on far right (Or that was where It was before---now I lost message and had to retype this all over again). So only the "Quote" lets me paste my message from the Text while I work on it so I don't lose it going to web pages back and forth as its slow slow going here.

Is there a way to copy paste my work from a text document into here when I'm ready to post it? (That was why I had to use quote before in my first posting)

Thanks!

Mar 11, 2015 12:41 PM in response to BDAqua

Tex-Edit Plus User uploaded fileUser uploaded file
Universal Version 4.10.2
Mac OS 10.4 thru 10.10 User uploaded file
File Size: 10703K

PPC Version 4.9.8
Mac OS 10.1 thru 10.3
File Size: 3970K

Classic Version 4.1.3
Mac OS 7 thru 9
File Size: 5294K

Tex-Edit User uploaded file
Legacy Version 2.7.2
Mac OS 6
File Size: 257K

Tex-Edit Plus (beta) User uploaded file
Pre-release Version 4.10.3 b2
Mac OS 10.4 thru 10.10 User uploaded file
File Size: 10705K

Hi BDAqua!

Thanks for the links! I'll take both of them! (If they fit in my old HD)

Explaining a bit more----I'm using a "PC" to write these questions (yes I have a bunch more) about the old Tiger Mac 10.4.11 G4.

I only have working TenFourFox7450 and OmniWeb as my only two ways to get online now. Very slow. Very limited windows I can open at once to compare or research things, so I'm back on the PC to do all that and copy and paste quotes here for you. Seems once I pass the first question, the only thing Quote does is quote your message---I managed to cheat a bit and got what I wanted to copy from the Tex-Edit page to show up instead..

You recommended that I choose Tex-Edit Plus PPC Version 4.9.8---but as you see above that is only for 10.1 to 10.3 versions..... is there some reason why the Tex-Edit Plus (Beta) above is bad for me? It says 10.4 or higher.

Or why not use the "Universal" Tex-Edit Plus? Seems that covers 10.4?

I got both TextWrangler and Tex-Edit Plus "Universal" Edition to work on the Mac!

Page numbers on the Tex-Edit! Wow!

Thanks!

Also (saving address for later) that page has Eliza on it.. which I had long time ago.... but lost somewhere among all the other programs. So thanks for showing me I can find and add it in later on when I get more space on HDD

I'll type now my reply to your earlier message/posting!

Mac_Help

Mar 11, 2015 1:02 PM in response to Mac_Help

the only thing Quote does is quote your message---I managed to cheat a bit and got what I wanted to copy from the Tex-Edit page to show up instead..

Quote is meant to Quote the Reply you are responding to... or if you highlight some text in your reply it'll put that in quotes like above. Paste Text in from a text app, (control+c on PC, CMD+c on Mac to copy), then place the cursor in your reply & Paste, (control+v on PC, CMD+v on Mac).

Mar 11, 2015 5:03 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua!

Thanks so very much for replying! (twice!!) So fast too!

I checked you link to OMNI SWEEPER

I got this: [quote] OmniDiskSweeperDelete with an Iron Fist

OmniDiskSweeper is really great at what it does: showing you the files on your drive, in descending order by size, and letting you decide what to do with them. Delete away, but exercise caution. (Requires OS X v10.8+) [/quote]

I have Tiger... 10.4.11 so I do not have whatever 10.8 is..= Mountain Lion OS.

The terminal version seems to be comparing file to file... if I have 100's of files I'd have to first select a file, then find its corresponding file to check it?

I don't need (yet!) to know if the contents are the same---file size and date will do for now.

But its a good program for later....

Still looking for a way to manually compare the two drives and find out where the duplicate one is...

Unless I missed out on the function of the Terminal program? I can't use the OmniDiskSweeper as I don't have 10.5, or 10.8.

Thanks again so much for reading this!

Mac_Help

Mar 11, 2015 6:34 PM in response to Mac_Help

Well, they don't seem to be offering the old versions anymore, using v 1.7.2 here, but here's one of my favorite tools, try the demo of TriBackup 5 & it's Compare folder function, which can compare whole drives also & will point out all the differences as to what is missing in one from the other & if there are different dates, sizes, etc...

http://www.tri-edre.com/download/download/downloadtbu.html

User uploaded file

The terminal method can include full directories, drives or folders.

Mar 12, 2015 11:53 AM in response to Mac_Help

Reply to both BDAqua and mns579 (this Forum does not let me do both at same time! )

Hi BDAqua and mns579! (and everyone else!)

Thanks for your reply BDAqua about TriBackup 5.1.7 for Mac OSX 10.4.

You say use the "demo"? to compare whole drives. Is that then a free version? I didn't hit download yet on that one wondering.

Thanks also to mns579 for showing the earlier versions of OmniDiskSweeper ! Great find as BDAqua says too!

I'd like to know which one to choose... You suggested the last of the 1.6.* series...

New extensions that I don't know if they make any difference (I know not to take the "beta" ones. The one at the top says as its address "English" while others down near the bottom have extensions: ".dbg" or ".tbz2"

I have absolutely no idea what these mean!

I learned a lot when installing the TenFourFox Browser mentioned somewhere above...... I needed version 7450 (?) (not looking at that screen right now for accuracy and this Forum does not let me edit---some others do--so I could go away and check it and come back to this screen later and fix it---a suggestion for anyone or if there is a suggestion column/thread here)

Back to issue... so I know it makes a big difference between the PPC versus Intel chips since G4's were manufactured with both---its always been a sticky point I have to figure out, which is why I do so little of new programs or adjusting what I have as I don't know all the ins and outs of choosing the correct program. G3's know what they must choose. G5's runnning Leopard know also.... sorry people like me just "muddle" through life stuck in the middle.

Can either of you help me determine which way to go? Don't want it messing up my file system while it does what its supposted to do--only because I chose the wrong "model" or Extension.

Thanks ! to Both of you for going the extra mile to get these for my old Mac!!

(Written quickly as not too long I can stay on a page, composing, remember?)

Mar 12, 2015 12:29 PM in response to Mac_Help

I'd like to know which one to choose... You suggested the last of the 1.6.* series...

New extensions that I don't know if they make any difference (I know not to take the "beta" ones. The one at the top says as its address "English" while others down near the bottom have extensions: ".dbg" or ".tbz2"

Try the 1.6.1 dated 19 Feb. 2009: http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp2/pub/software/Archive/MacOSX/10.4/OmniDiskSweeper-1 .6.1.dmg. You want the dmg rather than the tbz2.

Mar 12, 2015 12:53 PM in response to Mac_Help

You say use the "demo"? to compare whole drives.Is that then a free version?

As I recall, the demo download is full featured for at least 30 days, maybe just a reminder after 30 days.

so I know it makes a big difference between the PPC versus Intel chips since G4's were manufactured with both---

Nope, all G3s, G4s, & G5s are PPC Macs, no Intel G4s ever existed, some confusion arises when Powermac is used for both PPC & Intel, but Intel ones are not Powermacs , but Mac Pros, & of course MacMinis & iMacs have both PPC & Intel versions.

How to print list of file contents of a HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.