Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change Default Font for other language?

Hello,

I'm facing rendering issues with the font Apple has by default and wanted to change another font to be used system wide.

E.G. See the

u+0DBB u+0DD0 or u+0DBB u+0DD1 or u+0DBB u+0DD1

http://www.sayura.net/anuradha/sinhala/unicode/test/2/index.html

This is wired when I use the language with apple default font.

Appriciate your help on change the default font on selected language to another one.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 9, 2015 8:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2015 9:44 PM

Please use the camera icon to post a screen shot of what you are seeing, so we can understand what is not being rendered correctly.

You might be able to change the default font by editing this file (I have not tried it):

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/CoreText.fra mework/Resources/DefaultFontFallbacks.plist

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2015 9:44 PM in response to devsmart

Please use the camera icon to post a screen shot of what you are seeing, so we can understand what is not being rendered correctly.

You might be able to change the default font by editing this file (I have not tried it):

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/CoreText.fra mework/Resources/DefaultFontFallbacks.plist

Mar 10, 2015 8:03 AM in response to devsmart

devsmart wrote:

When I change font in /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/CoreText.fra mework/Resources/DefaultFontFallbacks.plist it doesn't render, may be coz. of I'm using TTF font 😟 ?

I don't think .ttf should cause a problem. Make sure you are using the postscript name of the font, as shown by Fontbook > Preview > Font Info and have restarted.

If you have time, it would be a good idea to let Apple know about those specific combinations which its Sinhala fonts are not rendering correctly, via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Mar 27, 2015 6:23 AM in response to devsmart

Hi DevSmart,

You're aiming at the Sinhala "muurdhaja lu" symbol. Unfortunately both Mac OS X and iOS do not display this symbol properly.

It's shows correctly however on Android devices :-)

There is a "work around" for OS X and iOS, but it's absolutely not perfect.

When you use this character in HTML files you can use the Bashita font (include it in your style sheet). This font displays the "muurdhaja lu" symbol correctly.

That said, Apple must come with a proper solution, hopefully in the coming updates.

How to change Default Font for other language?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.