Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie is said to have been updated to 10.0.7 but isn´t

I had three updates going this morning: Security, iMovie and Xcode. At some point while downloading Xcode, iMovie jumped to ´Updated´ and was added to the list below as such. I didn´t see it downloading and installing though... Fair enough, it does not show when launched from Finder, is still 10.0.6.

After the restart, I checked again just to be sure, but alas. Problem is, the app is not part of my list of purchases - it came as part of iLife long time ago, december 2008, the others are in the list - so I cannot spot an issue and reinstall from there either. I can still run it as 10.0.6, so at this point it isn´t really an issue except for what it should bring to the game.

Anybody knows how to solve this one?

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 1:40 AM

15 replies

Mar 10, 2015 4:19 AM in response to jdstil

10.0.6 must have been downloaded from the AppStore (since it has never been on an iLife install DVD) but could it have been installed using a different Apple account than the one you have just used for the recent upgrades? This could explain why it does not show up in purchases?

Geoff.

Mar 10, 2015 5:16 AM in response to GeeD

I have the iLife ´11 box in my hand and the DVD in the Mac. It says:

About iLife ’11

iLife ’11 is a major upgrade to Apple’s award-winning software suite. It includes new versions of iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand—three powerful yet easy to use applications that let you create amazing things with your photos, movies, and music on the Mac. With this latest release it’s incredibly simple to share what you make with the world, whether it’s a gorgeous photo book, a Hollywood-style movie trailer, or an original song.

<snap>

Contents

iLife ’11 contains iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, iDVD; electronic documentation.

I wonder if I couldn't simply try to install it (again) and see what happens? What would be the risks? I have Time Machine backup for it...

edit: I forgot the second question, but no, no other account here, it´s the same initial one since 2008.

Mar 10, 2015 5:58 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

9 was removed when going to version 10 though, not by me doing it. So I don´t have it on the HD anymore, would really need to install it from DVD then. Pointless though, as I am using 10.0.6 already and cannot download the newer one from the AppStore.

There was an issue with it at some point, but solved automagically and OK ever since.

To make it visual, my problem is like below.

From the AppStore update screen:

User uploaded file

From the AppStore iMovie screen:

User uploaded file

And from About iMovie (you´ll have to believe I launched it right now, not before the update):

User uploaded file

Mar 10, 2015 9:23 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

I understand what you are saying, however this is not true for me. I went as far as looking back in my Time Machine folders, the 9.0.9 version disappeared (was replaced) when the 10.0 version was released, back in October 2013. Ever since, I see them all, up to 10.0.6.

From this morning, although the AppStore application tells me it got updated to 10.0.7, it is not. So it looks like I´m stuck with that, at least for the time being.

User uploaded file

Mar 10, 2015 4:25 PM in response to jdstil

I don't know why the installation failed but the solution is probably to delete iMovie 10.0.6 but leave it in the trash. The App Store should then allow you to download it and this should be the latest version. Don't empty the trash until you have a successful download though so in the worst case you can put it back.

This article: http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/How-To-Re-Download-Apps-From-The-Mac-Ap p-Store.htm

goes into the subject of re-installing in more detail - it seems to be a bit unclear how to make the App store really think your application is no longer installed.

Geoff.

Mar 11, 2015 12:18 AM in response to GeeD

Thank you Geoff! I did all that, to no avail alas, but with one exception: dropping the application opens the way to download for the symbolic amount. No way of just downloading it, I tried the Opt click and I think all combinations of the modifiers I could imagine. However, if I seem stuck with 10.0.6 after upcoming update to OS X 10.10.3, I might just do that, to hopefully get rid of the issue once and for all.

Meanwhile, I have some comfort given by the fact that I seem not quite alone anymore with this issue. If you click on the Apple Web Site link for iMovie in the App Store, then on Download iMovie once you get there, you will read some customer comment stating being unable to do so. Not sure it´s the exact same of course, my application is not broken, 10.0.6 still works as before, I´ve put it back now.

Mar 16, 2015 11:48 PM in response to James Cude

Weird enough, I did not! I occasionally go that route for Aperture though, but it never occurred to me I could do the same for iMove!

It´s status quo right now, I was waiting for OS X 10.10.3 to see if that solved something; if not trash it to pay the symbolic amount to get it again, hopefully also registered correctly in the paid purchases list. That is of course a bit of a coward giving in...

Thank you very much for reminding me. I´ll file that report as soon as done with my daily morning duties.

Apr 23, 2015 11:58 PM in response to jdstil

This issue is now solved, with today´s update to 10.0.8. I had indeed registered it through the feedback provision as said above, got no answer though - as usual, not an issue either. I saw the download and install progress indicators at least twice, but did not sit looking at my screen all the time. Although it took quite a long time, at the end I really got 10.0.8 which launches and works without any further problems that I could spot. No, I did not go the coward route of just paying for it, obviously there was no need to.

All is well now. 🙂

iMovie is said to have been updated to 10.0.7 but isn´t

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.