Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 iOS 8.2 update error message 56

I plugged my iPhone 6 into my MacBook Pro to download and install the iOS 8.2 update. ¾ of the way through the update, error message 56 pops up telling me the update didn't work, I need to do a factory reset, and reinstall the update. My phone has been stuck in a cycle of error message, try again, ever since. Is anyone else experiencing this same issue? What am I supposed to do?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2, error 56

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 6:07 AM

Yeah. It's a major snafu by Apple. You hear me!

I used itunes to update to 8.2. I retried update/restore combination with reboot and unplugging all the USB to no avail.

It's widely reported here in Korea with no solution from Apple.

However, some tech engineers here figured out on their own.

Their solution is crude. Pull out the sim card and update ios 8.2 first.

Then try to restore from your back up. This is a major fubar. I expect some head roll in Apple QA dept.

I used itunes on Win 8.1 with iphone 6 128G version. My language setting was in English.

Good luck!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2015 6:07 AM in response to jnlseko

Yeah. It's a major snafu by Apple. You hear me!

I used itunes to update to 8.2. I retried update/restore combination with reboot and unplugging all the USB to no avail.

It's widely reported here in Korea with no solution from Apple.

However, some tech engineers here figured out on their own.

Their solution is crude. Pull out the sim card and update ios 8.2 first.

Then try to restore from your back up. This is a major fubar. I expect some head roll in Apple QA dept.

I used itunes on Win 8.1 with iphone 6 128G version. My language setting was in English.

Good luck!

Mar 10, 2015 9:09 PM in response to jnlseko

I am having the same issue. Apple support replaced my phone today saying the finger print logic board was bad. When I got home, I did a restore without any issues. When I tried to update this new phone to 8.2, I ran into the same error again. Now I have to go back into the apple store again. Tried the solution above and it didn't work for me.

iPhone 6 iOS 8.2 update error message 56

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.