Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.2 update - battery performance improvement ??

Has anyone experienced improved battery performance on iPhone 5s or 5 after iOS 8.2 recent update ?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 4:05 AM

8 replies

Mar 10, 2015 5:34 PM in response to octw90

As has been discussed in other threads, battery life issues are not the result if a specific version. They are caused by the process of updating, which occasionally causes apps to misbehave. The problem is an app, not the version. I'm not going to rehash what has been discussed to death in hundreds of threads over 7 years. A search, or just browsing, will find the information you need to fix it.

We learned on March 10 that 700 million iPhones have been sold. by this time probably over 200 million have been updated to 8.1.3, and millions more to 8.2. If there was a bug in iOS you would see thousands of posts about it and headlines on every tech website, not to mention all major newspapers. While you really do have a problem, it is rare, and not part of any specific release.

Mar 10, 2015 6:26 PM in response to octw90

I Have noticed too. I own an iphone 6, and i updated yesterday. I usually listen music on the YouTube app at my work, and my phone lasts between 6 and 7 hours using only this app. That means that the screen is always on, since the Youtube App does not allow you to listen in the background.

Today, I did the same, and my phone registered 8 full hours of activity, which as mentioned, are only from YouTube app. And I still have 7% of battery.

BUT! What I also did, was to turn off the steps and distance counter from the Health app, which I think is one of the reasons of the battery improvement. So far, I'm happy with the newest update.

Mar 30, 2015 9:59 PM in response to Charlypollo

I have never complained about Battery drain on any other iOS device I've every owned from an upgrade… That is until now.

I have an iPhone 6 Plus. Up until last week (When I updated to 8.2) I was able to get two, sometimes on in to three days on a charge on my battery with normal use.

Litterally the next day, after I update, my barely get a single day before the battery drains to Zero and the phone shuts off.

I used to get through an entire work day and the battery would only drain to about 85%.

Now, when I get off work, it is at 50% or less. Then by the time I go to bed, it has long since shut off from low battery.

My iPhone also says that Safari is the main culprit of power consumption.

Even when the phone is in Airplane mode, it drains quickly. In the past, the phone didn't drain at all when in Airplane mode.

What gives apple?!? I'm going to get an apt with the apple store. I've tried to downgrade back to 8.1.3 but I missed the window and it won't let me.

I'm going to demand they do it from the store.

I went in to settings and turned all the garbage off. but to no avail.

Mar 31, 2015 12:14 AM in response to Event Video Guy

No improvements on battery usage.

At night I kill all the apps and put my phone into airplane mode. The battery should barely drain at all because it is isn't doing anything. I go to sleep with my phone on full, or near full, charge and I wake up in the morning with only a few % remaining. The whole battery drains and it's not even doing anything.

So, Lawrence Finch, sorry but I do not accept your explanation of it being the apps causing the battery drain. Because my battery drains even when it is not doing anything!

iOS 8.2 update - battery performance improvement ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.