Related Article: Apple security releases

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security update disconnected network devices

For the second time in recent months I have been frustrated with Apple updates. I updated to Yosemite and found that the network devices that were not of an Apple origin could no longer connect to my imac. I reverted back to Maverick and everything was fine. Mathis morning I agreed to update a recommended security update, gues what? My non Apple network devices cannot connect anymore! I wasn't too worried as I had been using TimeMachine to protect my data so I thought I would just roll back to yesterday. Nope, the NAS that had been happily accepting my Time Machine backups was no longer accessible to restore from! Mis there any other way to roll back this security update without me having to start all over again? The NAS I have been using is a WD Mycloud and if I connect it directly to the imac via a cable, the restore asks for a name and password to get into the WdMycloud time machine, I tried wd_backup, backup which used to work for my old MyWorldBook, but this didn't work either. Any advice gratefully accepted.m

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 7:31 AM

2 replies

Mar 11, 2015 7:07 AM in response to Jonhewitt_uk

Jon

Did you try to power cycle the WD unit? Also the computer? That should re-establish the connection.

WD has password protection built into the firmware of most of their (and all of their 2.5" portables AFAIK) drives so when you connect directly, it wants a password. This is to protect your data in case someone can access your NAS. It should have asked you to set a password when you first set it up.

Hope this helps, Greg

Security update disconnected network devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.