Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.2 update frozen

I have an iPhone 5s. About 2pm (GMT) I started the iOS 8.0.2 update. My phone has been on the black update screen for two hours now. The update bar has been in the same place since then. I can't switch the phone off and am unable to cancel the update. Other people using the same WiFi connection have been able to successfully update their phones (5 and 5c).

Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 9:24 AM

I have seen this a few times with other updates. There is no good answer for it beside it occasionally happens. Try pressing and holding both the power and home buttons for about 15 seconds and you should see the phone screen blink and possibly the apple symbol appear. Depending on where it was in the update you could see a few things:

1) the update picks up where it left off and continues successfully (YAY)

2) The update was interrupted and you will see the iTunes symbol with a plug indicating you need to plug it in and restore (this is not fun but hopefully you backed up before updating)

3) the update was not very far along and got interrupted and the reboot causes it to cancel all together in which case you are returned to your iPhone before the update and you can try again (if this is the case i suggest using iTunes to do the update)

Let me know how it goes. I support a few hundred Apple devices for work and tried to put these in order of how many times i have seen each one. Scenario 2 i have seen more frequently lately but i have by far seen scenario 1 happen more.

Good Luck!

iPhone 5S, iOS 8.2

iPad w/ Retina, iOS 8.2

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2015 9:24 AM in response to Dibbydobs

I have seen this a few times with other updates. There is no good answer for it beside it occasionally happens. Try pressing and holding both the power and home buttons for about 15 seconds and you should see the phone screen blink and possibly the apple symbol appear. Depending on where it was in the update you could see a few things:

1) the update picks up where it left off and continues successfully (YAY)

2) The update was interrupted and you will see the iTunes symbol with a plug indicating you need to plug it in and restore (this is not fun but hopefully you backed up before updating)

3) the update was not very far along and got interrupted and the reboot causes it to cancel all together in which case you are returned to your iPhone before the update and you can try again (if this is the case i suggest using iTunes to do the update)

Let me know how it goes. I support a few hundred Apple devices for work and tried to put these in order of how many times i have seen each one. Scenario 2 i have seen more frequently lately but i have by far seen scenario 1 happen more.

Good Luck!

iPhone 5S, iOS 8.2

iPad w/ Retina, iOS 8.2

Mar 11, 2015 10:04 PM in response to kevin.moore0105

I have the same issue as above, only the screen is the "plug into iTunes". I have the 5s. in NOVEMBER, While connected to the computer, I apparently chose to do an update (thinking I was just syncing iTunes) there wasn't any backup done(for some reason) but it started updating my phone, after many tries to update, it always failed. I didn't want to restore and wipe it clean. I took it in to 2 companies for data recovery since I had over 2K photos on my phone with no apparent backup anywhere. Both companies were unsuccessful with any data recovery. The last option told to me was to wait on an iOS upgrade which came out in February. I have still tried many times to update. I have made sure it didn't have any firewall or proxy issues on my laptop, I've tried it on my sons Mac....still it goes almost to the end and gives me the Update failed error code 6. I am really trying to avoid wiping my phone, I've not used it in almost 4 months waiting for a solution..I am currently charging my phone to an outlet for a full charge, I will try the "hard reset" then plug back into iTunes and try again.

Any assistance or information here would be appreciated

Mar 25, 2015 6:19 AM in response to Dibbydobs

I'm having the same problem with my iPad and IOS 8.2. I plugged in my iPad to my laptop to charge while I'm working, and the update notification popped up. The update downloaded, but encountered problems during installation. It froze on "Verify Update" for a few minutes, then said a problem occurred and IOS 8.2 could not be installed.

Now, my iPad is frozen. The screen is now stuck on the black screen with the Apple logo and the installation status bar. I can't turn it on or off. I can't charge it. When I try reconnecting my device to my laptop repeatedly, but it does not come up on iTunes. It's been like that for over 2 hours. Nothing is happening or changing. iPad screen is still frozen.

Any information on how to fix this problem would be very appreciated.

iPad, iOS 8.2

Apr 2, 2015 10:24 PM in response to nickfooo

Reset your device. Hold down the Home and Power buttons at the same time and continue to hold them down until the Apple appears. Once the Slide to Unlock screen redisplays, go to Settings>General>About and check the Version number. If it is not 8.2, then you should hook your device up to iTunes on the computer you sync with and do the update via iTunes.

Cheers,

GB

iOS 8.2 update frozen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.