Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone successfully connected a Laserwriter 16/600 to their LAN using an Apple Extreme base station when all the computers are using OS 10.7 and higher?

I'm at my daughter's place. They have a wireless network using an Airport Extreme that's all Apple and all using OS 10.7 and higher, and thus no "bridge" computer that can act as a Bonjour hub for the printer. I have read that the 16/600 can, in theory, be addressed by its IP address, but I've had no success thus far. I know the IP address of the printer (10.0.1.150) because I assigned it using an old laptop I have and running OS 9 and the old Apple Printer Utility. When I try to ping that IP address using Apple's network tool, there is no recognition of the number. I'm using an Apple Twisted pair connector (M0437) and an ethernet cord to connect the printer to the Airport. When I do have my old laptop here and use Bonjour, I am able to print from the computers with newer systems (10.7 to 10.9). I had to add the Laserwriter 16/600 driver to their menu of printers, but was able to do so. But short of leaving my computer here to act as an Appletalk/ Bonjour bridge, what can be done? Why is there no recognition of the printer when a query of the above IP address is pinged? Do I need another connector beside the old Apple (M0437) Twisted-pair one? Would a Asante FN10TA Friendlynet Adapter be a solution, or is it just another twisted pair adapter by a different manufacturer?

So, in short: Has anyone successfully made this connection via IP address. No theory please. I want to hear from someone who's succeeded at it.

All systems are OS 10.7 and higher

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 8:20 AM

4 replies

Mar 10, 2015 4:58 PM in response to Redpackman

Also: I have a Pdf version of the owner's manual for the 16/600. As I stated I've already set the IP address, but I've read here and there the people have also set the "subnet mask." I know how to set the IP address for the printer, but how does one to the "subnet mask" and the "default network gateway?"

This is what it says in the manual:

The UNIX system network administrator must configure the following network

parameters for the LaserWriter 16/600 PS printer: ■ IP address ■ subnet mask and default network gateway ■ printer type: PostScript, PCL, or ASCII

■ banner pages always on or always off

Mar 11, 2015 7:59 PM in response to Redpackman

OK, found out I didn't need to set the subnet mask. Still don't know how to do that.

I now have the 16/600 running via my daughters MacBook running OS 10.10 with no Bonjour.

I had to:

1. Set the IP to the range of IP's that fit with my daughter's local household network. I had the IP originally as 10.0.1.150. Not close enough. I'd ping it and the pings would go into a black hole someplace, never to return. When I set it at 10.0.0.xx (final is a random number of my choice). I just chose 48. I was able to ping it successfully using Network Utility. Before then, with having it set at 10.0.1.150, I'd get nothing when I tried to ping it, because it wasn't in the right IP family. (I know you network geeks are going nuts now, but I don't know what else to call it). Finding out what the proper IP family was for my network was the biggest challenge, though I'm sure you geeks can do it in thirty seconds, but you weren't talking (coherently), so it took me a LOT longer. Everybody's IP family is probably going to be different, and every geek probably has a thousand opinions as to what it should be. That subject is way over my head. I got lucky and found out my IP family was 10.0.0.xx. Maybe yours is too and we're related. Send me a Christmas card.

In order to set the right IP number in the printer so the snobby local network IP family would recognize it as its own, I had to use the old Apple Utility Program run either in Classic in OSX (necessitating an older OS X or even go so low as running it in OS 9). I don't know a way of discovering and certainly not changing the IP of the 16/600 w/o Apple Printer Utility without it. Bless it! Without it it's nearly impossible to work with the 16/600

2. I had to find (on the web someplace) and install a copy of the Laserwriter16/600 driver in the file with all the printer drivers one can choose from. Apple has drivers from every printer in the WORLD made in the past fifteen years in there, but not their Laserwriters. Go figure. I placed it in the "Library - Printers - PPDs - Contents - Resources" file.

3. Then inside System Preferences, choose Printer, then "Add" a printer with the little "+" sign at the bottom of the printer list, then specify that it'll be an IP printer (as opposed to "Default, Fax or Windows" options). Getting closer!!

The next screen will drop down. Choose the LPD Line Printer Daemon (whatever the heck THAT is), fill in the next line with an IP address that fits your network's IP family (sorry again to the geeks). Leave the Queue line blank. Next line is the name. You can name the printer anything you want so you can identify it (How about "Redpackman" in my honor) and then the location so you can find it in your house i.e. "Garage Attic" etc. Those last two are optional. Then you come to "Print Using" and pick from the list of printers by choosing the "Select software" choice to pick the driver (you installed earlier, remember) from the gazillion choices of Brother, HP and every other printer on the planet. If you got the driver in the right spot you ought to be able to find it there. If you put it in a folder and can't find it, you got it in the wrong "Library" or wrong. Library folder. Why Apple has multiple "Library" folders is also beyond me, but that's another topic.

If you did it right, write a test page. Hit print. Choose the printer you just added and tell it to do it's job. If you're lucky. It'll spool to the printer and work. Make sure the printer's on, BTW, first.

Has anyone successfully connected a Laserwriter 16/600 to their LAN using an Apple Extreme base station when all the computers are using OS 10.7 and higher?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.