Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail is squishing / squashing / distorting certain jpg attachments

Somehow my last post got marked as 'solved' by me, by accident.

Searched around and have seen this question in some form, but no answer. I have more/new details from my own trouble shooting

Mail is sometimes squashing or distorting certain .JPG attachments when sent to others. Not all the time, just sometimes. The best way to describe it is it turns them into not quite accurate thumbnails. Re-saved as a JPEG-2000 in preview fixes it, but then if I convert back to .JPG, same issue.

Doesn't work if file name is converted to .JPEG.

Restarting mail and computer doesn't help.

Doesn't happen with ALL .JPG's, just some. For the ones it happens to, it happens each time.

Oddly enough, when the .JPG is attached with a Word file, no issues at all. Doesn't matter if it's an image I'm having issues with prior.

I do not believe it's a Mac or PC issue, as when I send it to my personal gmail account and access it there through Gmail's site, the image is distorted in the viewer and remains distorted when I open it up using preview on my mac. Oddly, the same messages forwarded back from Gmail using the web browser to Mac Mail do not have this issue.

Also while in Gmail, when you to to save the image, you have to right click it in the body of the text. The dropdown is now gone. Once you right click it, it prompts you to save it as 'unnamed.jpg.' wich is NOT what I'm sending.

Here's what I'm running:

OS 10.9.5

iMac Mid 2011

Mail 7.3

Mail is set to Plain Text for all messages.

Any thoughts?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 21.5 inch 2011

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 8:02 AM

There are no replies.

Mail is squishing / squashing / distorting certain jpg attachments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.