Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Macbook 2015 with old iMac in target display mode?

Opinions about the new 12 inch Macbook 2015 aside, I am wondering if I can use my 27 inch iMac mid-2011 in Target Display Mode.

I also had trouble finding "daisy chain" solutions to this. Ex. An accessory that will allow me to charge the Macbook while also providing a thunderbolt port in order to output the display into my iMac.

Am I just being too impatient? I have a feeling I will need to buy a load of different adapters just to try and work with the new Macbook's USB C...

Just for more information, I'm currently using my 15 Inch Macbook Pro Retina Mid-2012 connected to my 27 inch iMac in target display mode through a thunderbolt cable. I'm just hoping I can have this simple setup also work with the new Macbook 2015..

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 27 inch. Mid-2011

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 10:17 AM

Yes, that model supports Target Display Mode. You will have to wait for Apple to provide adaptors for such use.

Target Display Mode- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Target Display Mode 2011 & Later iMacs

2 replies

Using Macbook 2015 with old iMac in target display mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.