Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Computer wont Boot up!

SO I am getting the grey apple screen upon starting my computer, it begins to load and almost completes and it shuts off (screen black, power off). I have NOT backed up to time machine (i know, i know!). My main concern are my photos. I have tried disk utility (Macintosh HD - listed first) verify which leads to a prompt to repair which results in "Macintosh HD cannot be verified completely." The "Macintosh HD" is listed a second time under the first - this one does not allow me to repair disk and once I try to repair the first this disk becomes unmounted and appears to be "read-only." The computer will not start in safe mode (holding shift). I do not know what most of this really means and would love some help! How can I save my photos from being lost??

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 9:41 AM

1 reply

Mar 10, 2015 12:37 PM in response to jlasette

Startup Issues - Resolve

Startup Issues - Resolve (2)

Startup Issues - Resolve (3)

Startup - Gray, Blue or White screen at boot, w/spinner/progress bar

Startup - Gray Screen

If you can figure out which Macintosh HD is the real one, Disk Utility/Restore might allow you to copy the files to an external drive. Note it will reformat the drive, so remove all existing data.

Would you post a screen shot so people can see what you are seeing in Disk Utility? Make sure you cover any personal information using Preview. Post the screen shot in a Reply using the camera icon or you can drag the screen shot into a reply. Copy and paste doesn't work.

Screen shots

My Computer wont Boot up!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.