Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when I rent a movie can I watch it with out a WiFi connection

when I rent a movie do I need a WiFi connection to watch it

iPad 2

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 10:04 AM

3 replies

Mar 12, 2015 7:02 AM in response to hurtmark

Hi hurtmark,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it sounds like you want to know if once a rental is downloaded will you need WiFi to play the movie. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

iTunes Store: Viewing and downloading HD content on iPad - Apple Support

Movie Rentals on iPad

• Movies rented on iPad cannot be transferred to other devices and can only be viewed on iPad.
  • An Internet connection to the iTunes Store is required to authorize playback of movie rentals.

Cheers,

Mario

Mar 12, 2015 7:10 AM in response to hurtmark

I've never had the opportunity to test this but others have reported that the Internet authorization that Mario indicated is required only once. Others have stated that they have watched two seconds at the beginning of a movie with an Internet connection and were then able to watch the remainder while on an airplane with no Internet connection. Of course, that defeats the 30-day storage timer and you have only 24 hours to watch the movie.

Oct 13, 2015 9:58 AM in response to hurtmark

Movie rentals, even though downloaded, will require an internet connection to activate the countdown for the 24 hours expiration period. You may need to validate the rental prior to watching so it starts the rental period timer and for that you will need an internet connection. Once you have started playing the movie rental, internet connection is no longer required. You can then play anywhere without internet connection in 24 hours.

For more information on movie rentals, you can visit:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201611

Note: 24 hours time limit is for United States customer only, while 48 hours for other countries.

Don't forget to Hit the ☆

when I rent a movie can I watch it with out a WiFi connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.