Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major Bluetooth audio problems since 8.2 update

After updating to iOS 8.2, I have noticed whenever I have more than three Bluetooth devices connected at a time, audio (whether it is coming from iTunes Radio, the Music app, or Podcasts app) it pauses so frequently that it makes the music/podcasts unlistenable.

I've had the same exact setup for the past year - The Bluetooth connected to my car (for phone calls), connected to a Bluetooth music receiver (to listen to my iPhone's audio through my car's speakers, and then my Pebble watch (to get notifications). I have NEVER had audio pausing problems before the 8.2 update, but it is constant and unlistenable since the update. There is no doubt it is tied to the update, it happened right after updating without any other changes to my setup. If I disconnect the Pebble bluetooth connection or my car's bluetooth, it's fine. But all of them connected, it doesn't play smoothly, at all...

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 48GB Ram, 480GB SSD, Radeon 5870

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 11:28 AM

16 replies

Mar 12, 2015 6:54 AM in response to LB Jeffries

Hi there,

I have an iPhone 6 (64gb) which just updated to the latest OS update (8.2) as of this morning.

Following the installation of this update, my iPhone bluetooth audio simply will not work at all. It will pair with my car's built-in bluetooth, and says it is connected, will make phone calls etc, but there is NO AUDIO. I have zero audio with respect to the use of phone AND music functions. I have tried rebooting the phone with no change. I have also deleted the device from my car's bluetooth software and re-discovering/reconnecting it. That also did not help.

As of right now, this update, which was supposed to fix a bug which was out there for some people which caused this very problem, has in fact created the problem in my phone. I have a connection according to my phone and my car, but i have NO AUDIO through the bluetooth.

Looks like the "fix" in this update actually created a problem for those of us who didn't have the bug to begin with.

Thanks

Mar 12, 2015 9:02 AM in response to LB Jeffries

As a follow-up, there is a not very convenient temporary "fix" - if you leave the iPhone on the Bluetooth Settings screen, there won't be any skipping - but the catch is, you have to leave it on this screen in order for the audio to not cut in and out. So while it's polling for other bluetooth devices, the audio plays fine - but again, not at all convenient...

Mar 12, 2015 10:55 AM in response to LB Jeffries

Another follow-up -- I contacted Apple about this, and they suggested 'Forgetting' all of the Bluetooth devices, reset all Network Setting (and additionally All Settings), and re-pair the devices, and see if that fixed the problem.

I can save everyone else the trouble, and tell you that still did not work for me, I think there is something inherently wrong with the Bluetooth functionality in iOS 8.2.

I'll be contacting Apple again, to ask if they can add this to some sort of bug list, and hopefully, it will fixed with a future update.

By the way, I'm using an iPhone 6 with 64GB capacity.

Mar 29, 2015 10:56 PM in response to LB Jeffries

3/29/2015

DEVICES:

4 x iPhone 6 Plus

1 x iPhone 6

4 x iPad Air 2

1 x iPad Mini 2

3 x iPad 4

VERSION:

iOS 8.1.3 >> iOS 8.2 (all devices)

VEHICLES:

2 x 2009 Mercedes-Benz E350

1 x 2012 Mercedes-Benz GL450

(will test 2008 Lexus LS600hL & 2015 LX570 later this week)

After weeks of reading about iOS 8.2 issues (and finding only seemingly very minor stuff or isolated cases), I thought it was finally safe to risk another iOS update to fix my long-standing Bluetooth issue. Ever since iOS 8.0.x, we have been having the very annoying BT issue of call audio cutting in & out when connected (and it may be that the iPhone/iPad actually randomly disconnects and reconnect with the car's BT every 10-120 seconds but we just don't notice it without an active call).

So after reading about how 8 iOS 8.2 is supposed to contain a BT fix, and the apparent lack of serious BT issues (or so we thought), today we updated all our devices to iOS 8.2. What we found was almost as disappointing as iOS 8.0.2 for us.

I won't comment on whether iOS 8.2 finally fixed our existing BT issue, as that needs extended testing for several days at least for a preliminary result. However, we immediately noticed that IOS 8.2 ADDED A NEW BLUETOOTH PROBLEM to the mix! With iOS 8.1.3, we could stream audio (I.e. Pandora) at higher quality perfectly. Right after the iOS 8.2 update, everyone suddenly noticed that the audio from Pandora or other streaming music app would briefly pause or skipped and stuttered every few seconds. We could be streaming only at "good" quality instead of "Better" or "Best" but that would not make a difference ("good" is around 64 kbps). At any rate, you would think that a 6.8Mbps 4g connection would be enough to stream a 64kbps signal without stuttering/buffering.

I hope Apple is going to fix this issue in iOS 8.3 or sooner... more and more people seem to have this (or variations) issue, and many others also are affected, probably haven't noticed (yet).

Mar 30, 2015 2:36 PM in response to chokaay

UPDATE 3/30/2015: After today’s preliminary testing with the vehicles above, this is what I found:

OUTGOING CALLS: In iOS 8.1.3, after much research and testing I have determined that the iPhone’s Bluetooth drops connection with the vehicle periodically, then immediately reconnects again, resulting in several seconds of audio silence on both ends of the call (same behavior as if you’re going through a cellular “dead zone”… but you’re not). With iOS 8.2, Bluetooth still exhibits the same issue, but now with an increased frequency. (NOTE: Unpairing & repairing Bluetooth connections as well as Resetting All Network Settings did NOT solve this problem… as other Internet posters, forums, and articles can tell you.)

INCOMING CALLS: In iOS 8.1.3, incoming calls suffered the same issues as outgoing calls (see above), but didn’t exibit any other Bluetooth problems with my vehicles. With iOS 8.2, Bluetooth issues for incoming calls are now significantly WORSE! Approximately 75% of all incoming calls will ring twice, then drop (i.e. “Call Failed”). 90% of the time, the incoming call ring won’t transfer to Bluetooth audio (instead only ringing on your handset). (NOTE: Unpairing & repairing Bluetooth connections as well as Resetting All Network Settings did NOT solve this problem… as other Internet posters, forums, and articles can tell you.)

STREAMING AUDIO/MUSIC: In iOS 8.1.3, Bluetooth audio/music streamed fine from my iPhone to my vehicle, even with 3+ Bluetooth devices connected simultaneously. My vehicle’s Bluetooth does not support Bluetooth audio, so I have installed a Kinvo BTC450 Hands-Free Car Kit (aptX) to play streaming audio through my vehicle’s speakers. The only issue I had was that the iPhone does NOT allow manual selection of assigning specific Bluetooth devices specific functions unlike Android 4.0.4 and above (for example, with Android I could assign incoming/outgoing call functions & audio to my car Bluetooth, and streaming media audio to my Kinvo BTC450… with iPhone iOS 8.2 and prior you cannot do that so the phone Bluetooth fights to assign incoming/outgoing call functions & audio to one of the two devices… usually the one that boots up the fastest). With iOS 8.2, not only is this problem still here, but now if you have 3 or more Bluetooth devices connected (not only paired) simultaneously, then it is as if the iPhone has to buffer streaming audio every few seconds, which will pause or stutter the audio feed to the Kinvo BTC450 (or whatever Bluetooth device you use). This happens with ALL streaming audio feeds, whether it’s Pandora, iTunes Radio, Rhapsody (although it occurs less frequently with some apps than others). After unpairing and re-pairing my iPhone to the device, suddenly ALL AUDIO DID NOT WORK! After doing this several times, I resumed driving in silence… then after about 15 minutes all of a sudden the streaming audio (Pandora which I didn’t pause) started streaming through my car speakers again (although the stuttering/pausing audio issue was still present). Resetting All Network Settings did not have an effect on this problem either. (NOTE: Unpairing & repairing Bluetooth connections as well as Resetting All Network Settings did NOT solve this problem. This problem is only solved by connecting only 1-2 devices simultaneously and preventing any more devices from connecting as other Internet posters, forums, and articles can tell you.)

MY RECOMMENDATION: If you use multiple bluetooth devices simultaneously with your iPhone/iPad (especially 3 or more)… then AVOID iOS 8.2 AT ALL COSTS! If you already upgraded (as I have), then from what I understand it’s too late to downgrade to iOS 8.1.3 since Apple doesn’t “sign” that firmware anymore… so your choices are either to live with iOS 8.2 or jailbreak... or switch to another phone manufacturer. If you don’t use Bluetooth or connect to multiple devices simultaneously (i.e. smartwatch, car Bluetooth, 3rd party car kit, radar detector, portable speaker, headphones, portable keyboard, etc) then iOS 8.2 may work OK for you. Hopefully iOS 8.3 will solve these Bluetooth issues… but based on Apple’s track record I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Apr 2, 2015 8:17 PM in response to chokaay

UPDATE 4/2/15: Tonight I tried to stream Bluetooth audio from Pandora and Rhapsody through my UE Boom. I had my Pebble Steel, Panasonic 6.0 DECT Link-to-Cell Cordless Phone System, and UE Boom connected via Bluetooth at the time. Bluetooth audio skipped 1-2 times per second. This issue is getting very frustrating... to the point where I want to throw my iPhone in the trash.

Apr 3, 2015 12:10 PM in response to LB Jeffries

After my 4S upgraded I experienced the bluetooth connection in my car (Acura RDX 2013) switching back an forth between my car speaker and the phone. I blamed it on my old phone so I upgraded to a new iPhone 6 which came with IOS 8.2. When connected to my car, it also immediately started switching back and forth. It took some research but I found that others are experiencing this with many makes of cars.

To rule out problems with my car, I tried pairing my husband's phone, a 4S that hasn't been upgraded to any 8.x version. It worked perfectly with no switching. We spent several hours in the car and experienced good phone connection.

I need to be able to depend on a consistent connection because I am on frequent conference calls. I can't deal with the switching when I am driving. I'm getting ready to exchange my new iPhone 6 for an android if a fix isn't released very soon.

Major Bluetooth audio problems since 8.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.