Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 867 won't see all 3 memory sticks?

I have tried 4 different sticks all labeled PC133 in multiple locations with the same result (there are 3 memory slots), the system reports only 1gb of memory. OS is 10.3.9.
Under preferences/memory, the memory in the first slot is always identified as PC100??? and it always says that the 3rd slot is empty when it is not. Is this possibly a 1gb limitation imposed by the OS? I don't think any of the memory is bad.

Thanks!

PowerMac

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 11:43 AM

There are a lot of Powermac models with different RAM requirements. It would help to know which PowerMac you have.

Also. what sizes are the RAM modules? 128MB 256? 512MB? Some PowerMacs will not recognize sticks over a certain size.

Hi-density RAM intended for PCs will not work at all in a PowerMac or will show up as only half their rated size. A good idea is to look for the model number on each module and enter it into a google search. That may return the exact description of the module and tell us if it is Mac-friendly or not.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2015 11:43 AM in response to davidh10

There are a lot of Powermac models with different RAM requirements. It would help to know which PowerMac you have.

Also. what sizes are the RAM modules? 128MB 256? 512MB? Some PowerMacs will not recognize sticks over a certain size.

Hi-density RAM intended for PCs will not work at all in a PowerMac or will show up as only half their rated size. A good idea is to look for the model number on each module and enter it into a google search. That may return the exact description of the module and tell us if it is Mac-friendly or not.

Mar 10, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Allan Jones

G4 Quicksilver. Max ram is 1.5 3 slots of 512mb. I am using 3 sticks of 512. It appears that one stick doesn't work anywhere so it is either incompatible or bad. It is 16 chip double-sided so should be low density. The other two sticks have the same label but one always reads pc100-322s no matter what slot you put it in, whereas the other one reads pc133, so assume one is mislabeled. I can't find the 4th stick at the moment.

Mar 11, 2015 6:15 PM in response to davidh10

The Quicksilver model reports CL2 memory as PC100-322(s) rather than PC133. It's a quirk, but the memory is working fine. You really should have as much memory as possible, which in the QS means three 512MB sticks. My QS that I am typing this on shews three PC100-322s sticks, works happily, and has for years.

The optical drive floppy door should have a small elongated spring that looks as if it is standing on end about a third of the way from the left hand side of the door. Four small screws secure the optical drive carrier in place, and two plastic tabs (I think) secure the door(s) and frame visible after you remove the optical drive (and zip drive if you have one). With luck, you can see where it goes after you get the whole thing apart.

Good luck... jws

Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 867 won't see all 3 memory sticks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.