Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C to mini display port and thunderbolt apple displays

I currently have a 24 in late 2008 Apple Cinema Display connected to a 2008 MacBook. This particular display has a three pronged connector (MagSafe, mini DisplayPort, conventional USB). I am thinking of upgrading to the new MacBook but am concerned about the compatibility with my display. Will there be an adapter or solution to connect the USB-C port to the three pronged connector of the apple Cinema Display? I see that USB-C port has support for hdmi, VGA, and standard display port but I see nothing about Mini DisplayPort or MagSafe. There is also no mention of thunderbolt dislay connectivity (for newer adopters of Apple displays). I understand innovation often comes at a price but it seems like a fairly large oversight to potentially obsolete fairly expensive larger apple Mini DisplayPort and thunderbolt devices for people who are looking to upgrade. This will certainly factor into my decision in purchasing new apple laptops in the future, especially if the standard inevitably moves toward USB-C on all devices. Thanks for any help!

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 12:33 PM

16 replies

Mar 3, 2017 6:33 PM in response to APMcClure

I recently received (2/28/17) my MacBook Pro 15 with Touch Bar. I have an Apple 24" Cinema Display (2010), which has the Mini Display Port (MDP) 3-way cable (MDP, USB 1, & late 2010 MBP AC). The Cinema Display is connected using an ITANDA USB-C to MDP (female) adapter.

@ Amazon https://www.amazon.com/ITANDA-DisplayPort-Aluminium-resolution-ChromeBook/dp/B01 N2ORP84/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488593353&sr=8-2&keywords=itanda+mini+displaypor t

While there may be other manufacturers of an adapter, I can attest the ITANDA works flawlessly in a direct-connect setup (meaning, no intervening extension cables between the Display's MDP male-end and the ITANDA MDP female-end; or for that matter, between the ITANDA's USB-C male-end and the MBP15 USB-C port).

FWIW, I have the Display's integral USB 1 connected (through a USB-C - USB 3.0 Hub) to another of the MBP15's USB-C ports. This USB 3.0 Hub is connecting my USB 1 speakers, which are USB connected in the back of the 24" Cinema Display.

I plan reviewing several, forthcoming USB-C Docks as I prefer more efficient use of the MBP15's integrated (4) USB-C ports. [At present, all ports are occupied, and when needing to connect another USB-C peripheral, I'm disconnecting the USB 3.0 Hub.] ...But a key question, regarding the USB-C Dock - which will have a Display Port in lieu of the MDP, will be: Can a Display Port to Mini Display Port adapter work as flawlessly, facilitating the MDP connection to the 24" Cinema Display, when such adapter is connected to a USB-C Dock which in turn, is connected to one of the MBP15's USB-C ports? If so, then bingo! ...The USB-C Dock will then, permit multiple-type connections, in addition to the Display, to just one of the USB-C ports and free-up 2 or 3 of the USB-C port. ...Fingers crossed. 😀

Mar 10, 2015 12:43 PM in response to APMcClure

Apple has listed several new adapters for the USB-C connection.

Including a VGA and USB adapter and an HDMI and USB adapter.

http://store.apple.com/us/accessories/all-accessories/cables-docks#!&f=12inchmac book&fh=4098%2B44c7

There will likely be a Thunderbolt/mini display adapter as well in the near future. If not from them almost certainly from a 3rd party company like Belkin

Mar 12, 2015 2:33 AM in response to APMcClure

You can connect your 24" display with the Apple HDMI adapter

<http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter>

followed by a HDMI to Mini DisplayPort converter

<http://www.kanex.com/xd>

The MacBook USB-C connector does support DisplayPort, so there may be a future adapter that would avoid the HDMI conversion.

You won't be able to use the MagSafe cable.

May 1, 2015 4:00 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

I bought the Kanex converter (http://www.kanex.com/xd) hoping to solve this exact problem with my new 12" Macbook and my old 27" Cinema Display (with the same 3-cable connector the original poster described). I had already been to the Apple store as well as support online, but no one in either of those locations seemed to understand that the display needs a female mini display connector. I was quite hopeful this would work but It doesn't appear to. Has anyone else actually had success connecting one of these Apple monitors to USB-C?

May 5, 2015 9:35 AM in response to syncette

Will be following this thread closely. I've called Apple sales twice, a month apart, both will long searches and no results (Both sales reps had no knowledge on this topic). My experience with daisy-chaining a bunch of adapters is that it almost never works, and that's the only thing I can find now online doing it a couple of different ways. Agree that waiting patiently for a one-adapter solution is the best option.

Aug 15, 2015 8:32 AM in response to syncette

Thanks for this. Finally someone else who understands all the current USB-C to DisplayPort cables out there won't help connecting the new MacBook (early 2015) to Apple Display as you need somehow a MINI ⚠ DisplayPort F/F connector.... the Apple Display has it's MiniDP cable and - obviously - that does NOT connect to another MiniDP cable: it's M/M!

For now we have to wait 'till someone markets a solution. Hopefully not too long from now.

Sep 19, 2015 2:40 PM in response to APMcClure

I'm shocked that Apple have not provided an adapter for this. I really want to purchase a new 12" MacBook but there is no way of connecting it to my 27" Apple Monitor.

I cannot believe the solution is to sell my apple monitor and buy a new large (probably Samsung) monitor that will allow me to connect via HDMI (Which apple do provide an adapter for!)

I won't hold my breath that will create an adapter!

Dec 23, 2016 5:34 PM in response to Josh Smiley1

Yes! I bought this and it worked on my late 2016 MBP 15 inch with TouchBar., connecting to an older Apple LED Cinema Display which has a cable that is shaped exactly like a Thunderbolt 2 cable, but is in reality a MiniDisplayPort cable (and has the MDP icon on the end instead of the Thunderbolt icon). Both audio and video work perfectly.

I had to power-cycle the display, at first it the display did not light up.

I also tested the adapter on an ASUS mini display port monitor and it worked too.

Currently priced at $15, this adapter is a bargain. The only problem is that it is shipped from China and took more than 2 weeks to arrive. Here is the link to exactly what I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZU1TXHA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UT F8&psc=1

USB-C to mini display port and thunderbolt apple displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.