Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iMovie 10.0.7 Share/Export at 4K or 50/60fps?

I can't find any information anywhere about the maximum resolution and maximum frame rates iMovie 10.0.7 is able to Share/Export video at?

Does anyone know?

I imagine the maximum resolution is 1920 x 1080, and the maximum frame rate is 30 fps.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) 12GB RAM

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 5:38 PM

I can confirm that you can import 50 fps (and I assume also 60fps) clips and if you use them for slow motion every frame is used. However the maximum frame rate of a shared project appears to be 30 fps.

4k clips can be imported but the maximum resolution of edited video that can be exported is 1920 x 1080. (Apparently you can export 4k from a clip in an event but you can't edit it in a project - so that's not of much use see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9kY9J0w6Es).

Geoff.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2015 5:38 PM in response to Reuben Feffer

I can confirm that you can import 50 fps (and I assume also 60fps) clips and if you use them for slow motion every frame is used. However the maximum frame rate of a shared project appears to be 30 fps.

4k clips can be imported but the maximum resolution of edited video that can be exported is 1920 x 1080. (Apparently you can export 4k from a clip in an event but you can't edit it in a project - so that's not of much use see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9kY9J0w6Es).

Geoff.

Oct 5, 2015 12:29 PM in response to BrzIphone

I wish Apple would provide more in-depth information - So little real technical documentation seems to be available.

IMHO there are few cases where framerates greater than 25 or 30 fps are noticably better in shared movies. Their main use is when you want to use slow motion. Having said that I usually shoot at 50 fps just in case I want to slow bits down later. In low light conditions it is a disadvantage since is halves the maximum exposure time available for each frame.

Geoff.

Oct 5, 2015 4:08 PM in response to GeeD

Thanks for the explanation!!! I knew the more FPS the more light was needed (or darker was the shot) but I didn't know why!

The reason I do 60 fps is that the videos are vlogs for youtube... so a lot of walking around with a moving camera... it seems (i might be wrong) that at 60 fps the motion is more fluid and less blur. it could be a mind trick too .... not sure..

Oct 6, 2015 12:58 PM in response to BrzIphone

Are you sure about that?

I've just imported a video (shot on my iPhone 6 in 1080p HD at 60 fps) into iMovie 10.0.9 on my Mac.

The clip (on its own) plays back at 60 fps within iMovie, which is promising. However, as soon as I drag it into a new Project and play it, it goes back to 30 fps.

When I click on Share > File > 1920 x 1080, the resulting .mp4 file has an fps of 29.97, as confirmed by the Movie Inspector in QuickTime Player 10.4.

User uploaded file

Any suggestions?

I'm still not convinced that iMovie 10.0.9 on the Mac is capable of Sharing videos at a frame-rate higher than 30 fps.

Oct 7, 2015 9:01 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

SO GET THIS !!!!!!!! ?!?!?!?!!?

Shot 60fps.... put on imovie -> export Prores -> 60fps .....

Shot 60fps... put on imovie -> edited, removed 2 sec of the video -> export ProRes -> 30 fps !!!!!!!

As soon as the video is touched, imovie reverts back to 30fps !!!!

It is OBVIOUS some limitation Apple put in place to force people go to Final Cut... but with the iPhones shooting that kind of video, they will have to roll that stupid decision back and restore 60 fps on imovie (version 8 you could do full 60 fps)

Oct 7, 2015 9:01 AM in response to GeeD

There seem to be some posts missing from this discussion. Anyway, basically...

• If you DO put Transitions (Cross Dissolves) in your 60 fps project, the Shared video (Share > File > 1920 x 1080, High) has a frame-rate of 30 fps.
  • If you DON'T put Transitions (Cross Dissolves) in your 60 fps project, the Shared video (Share > File > 1920 x 1080, High) has a frame-rate of 30 fps.

So, from my tests, either way (with or without Transitions) the Shared video is 30 fps.

I really wish Apple would fix this. It seems bizarre that the mobile version of iMovie has features (4K and 60 fps support) which the desktop version doesn't.

Can iMovie 10.0.7 Share/Export at 4K or 50/60fps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.