Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The newest version of iTunes deletes all of my iPod Touch 5th gen audible and visual media when I delete or add music or video to my library and add it to my device manually. Why?

The newest version of iTunes deletes all of my iPod Touch 5th gen audible and visual media when I delete or add music or video to my library and add it to my device manually. Why? I guess the question speaks for itself. I have the latest version of iTunes and iOS 8.2 on my iPod Touch.

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 2:59 PM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2015 5:17 PM in response to ALBolen

If it's any consolation i've just had a similar thing happen. Went to add a playlist and it wiped 35 gig of music off my iPod touch 64g in a nanosecond. I've got the latest iTunes and osx but do not back up because i keep different styles of music (and loads of it) in separate libraries and devices which i don't want mixed together. All my stuff is burned from cd so it's not lost for good and i've got a hard drive with the "lost" mp3 music on it but even so it will take literally weeks to prune the tracks for my iPod to be the same again. Why do they make it so difficult to manage your music on these things. I have massive amounts of music on my computer so autofill is a disastrous unusable gimmick to me. The whole thing seems to be aimed at 9 year old kids with about 6 mp3's on their phone rather than serious music lovers (for example accessing EQ is a joke let alone the lack of a manual option). I'm a dj and use apple for that reason but to be honest i'm beginning to wonder why. I'm absolutely livid. The weird thing is that my mac still shows the titles of the missing tunes in the 'on my device' window but as my macbook storage display shows no increase i'm pretty sure it's all gone. Nightmare. I have no confidence in this device anymore and could barely use the previous osx 8.2 anyway. Why they have to change it every ten minutes is beyond me. As the old saying goes 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' but this format just gets more broken every time they update. An absolute disgrace. Why not just drag and drop or delete. No wonder the iPod is said to be a dying device, it's for music, it is not a phone. Not fit for purpose anymore. I can't be bothered to read a massive 'how to use' article every update. Good technology should be easier and more intuitive with each new version. I suppose i'll have to phone apple at my expense to find out what's going on, or maybe that's the whole idea. Very very very not happy.

Apr 20, 2015 6:12 PM in response to event13

Just an update on previous comment. My iPod has decided to update from my current iTunes library which only contains about 2gig of the tracks that were originally on it. I have an ssd so space is a premium on my macbook, this is why i put stuff on my iPod so i can free up my hard drive, I now have loads of whited out tracks that were previously on it and half the reloaded tracks have missing artwork. It's now 2 AM in the uk and i've wasted 2 hrs trying to sort this out so i had something to listen to at work TODAY. I'm really looking forward to going in on 5 hrs sleep with the knowledge that it'll take a complete reset and days of messing about to get back to where i was 2 hrs ago. AND THEN WHAT HAPPENS NEXT TIME I WANT TO ADD TRACKS!!? I'm going to look into trying to re install 8.2 because this is little short of outrageous and i'm actually considering sending it back to apple for a refund. £260 for something i'm actually afraid to use now. Someone should get fired for this. Jobs would be turning in his grave if he knew what they were doing to his legacy.

The newest version of iTunes deletes all of my iPod Touch 5th gen audible and visual media when I delete or add music or video to my library and add it to my device manually. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.