Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"no service" msg

i phone 5 msg saying "no service" . Each time i have to do a sim swap with my provider. I have had to do this 4 times in 18 months. Is it the phone, software, or provider? Really fed up with Apple phone right now.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 6:11 PM

2 replies

Mar 12, 2015 9:30 AM in response to vanessadc

Hello vanessadc,

I understand that you are seeing a "No Service" message on your iPhone. The following article provides some troubleshooting steps for this issue:

If you see No Service in the status bar of your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

The status bar of your iPhone or iPad (Cellular Model) shows the signal strength of your carrier's network. If you're outside that network, you might see No Service in the status bar. If you see No Service repeatedly while you're in your carrier's network coverage area, these steps can help.

If you're in your carrier's coverage area

Follow these steps, testing after each.

1. Tap Settings > Enable Airplane Mode, wait five seconds, then turn off airplane mode.
  2. Restart your device.
  3. Remove the SIM card. If the SIM card is damaged, worn, or bent, or if it's too big or small for the SIM tray, contact your carrier for a new one. Then reinsert the SIM card.
  4. Check for a carrier-settings update: Connect to a Wi-Fi network, tap Settings > General > About, and install any available carrier-settings updates. If you can't connect to Wi-Fi, connect your device to a computer that has iTunes.
  5. Update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS.
  6. Reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will reset all network settings, including Bluetooth pairing records, Wi-Fi passwords, VPN, and APN settings.
  7. Contact your carrier to check for any network or account issues.
  8. Restore your iPhone.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Bobby_D

Mar 12, 2015 10:40 AM in response to bobby_d

HHi Bobby

thanks for responding. I have become a pro at this no service issue. First 2 times we tried (my carrier) and myself all the fix its in your message. Both times they told me the sim just became corrupted.....3 time they didn't bother just swapped out the sim. This week being the 4th time, they ran some checks, said the sim is once again corrupted and swapped out the sim again. Symptoms are a few days before the phone starts dropping calls repeatedly, then Internet slows done, then I get the no service msg, or it says searching then goes to no service. Carrier company says they can't explain it, that they are having the problem with lots of IPhone 5 models. Really fed up with Apple and ready to throw it away! So frustrated. Thanks for your help though.

"no service" msg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.