Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I transfer HD cassette to fcp

I shot an interview on a Sony Z5U HD camera on a cassette and need to transfer to FPC to edit HD. I have a few connects but they don't seem to fit the contacts. It seems that all I should need is a DV camera with a connection that fits? trouble is there isn't a lot of cassette cameras around these days.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.5 GHz 2GB Ram 2TB & 500GB ext

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 8:23 PM

4 replies

Mar 10, 2015 8:34 PM in response to Jim Makichuk

If you shot in HDV, you will need an HDV camera or stand alone deck to play the tape back and ingest it in FCP.

You can only use Firewire to make the connection. USB will not work. Most HDV cameras will have a 4 pin Firewire port (Sony calls this iLink). You connect your playback device to your computer, and in FCP choose the easy set up for HDV-108060i (if that is what you shot), or choose the correct Easy Set Up for the format you shot in.

There are two things to be aware of:

1) There are problems in some brands of cables and cable adaptors that convert a 4 pin Firewire to either a 6 pin or 9 pin Firewire connection. Don't get cheap cables.

2) The default setting on many cameras is to downconvert the HDV to DV at the Firewire port. This is a menu setting in camera and any downconversion must be turned off in the camera menu settings. If the downconversion is left on, the camera will present itself to FCP as if it were a DV camera and not the HDV camera that FCP is looking for - and no connection will be made.

MtD

how can I transfer HD cassette to fcp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.