Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am setting up my Airport Time Capsule 2TB Apple TV WD My Cloud 4 TB.

Does anyone have experience in a similar set up where the WD will serve as a cloud storage (not Back-Up) and be accessed anywhere. Does anyone have any other suggestion for a better set up. I want to have a Back Up system for the Mac Laptops, and a Personal Cloud Storage. Will this set up be sufficient?

Time Capsule, Apple TV

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 8:33 PM

9 replies

Mar 10, 2015 10:26 PM in response to Jogats21

I don't use a WD but do have remote access to network.

You should be fine.. the issues with setting up the WD are a bit different so give it a go and just post if you run into trouble.. but basic method WD uses is to open ports from the inside of the NAT and this is similar to what the Apple BTMM does.. so it could be a problem if you run both..

Just try it and post.. it is a good starter NAS solution. And I am sure we can work around any issues you come up with.

Mar 23, 2015 2:02 AM in response to Jogats21

I have acquired Airport Time Capsule and in search for an extension external drive that will work with the Time Capsule and Serve as a storage for my Media files (Pics and Movies that will not be stored in the Mac Book anymore).

I am now considering other drives to attach to the ATC. What other drives are recommended?

I am considering the following:

WD My Cloud - Cloud System is my concern (Mac ready from manufacturer specification)

Seagate Back Up

WD My Book Duo - Not Mac Ready (by manufacturer specification)

Any advise on what to use?

Mar 23, 2015 4:38 AM in response to Jogats21

Do you mean to plug in by USB or plug in by Ethernet??

They are entirely different.. USB on the TC is a bit slow but if you access it over wireless will not make a lot of difference if it is USB or ethernet, due to the slow down that is caused by wireless.

If you want ethernet then you are buying a NAS.. and for that you can spend little or much.. depending on how much capacity you want.

WD mycloud are a good start unit.. and are available in drive sizes up to 6TB with single drive and 8TB with duo version (dual drive but if mirrored will format to 4TB).

Tell me what sort of drive you want and what capacity.

Mar 23, 2015 6:32 AM in response to LaPastenague

If the Ethernet is faster then i will want to use that one. I was planning on the WD My Cloud 6 TB with the mirroring on. My wife will kill me if i lose her photo files again.

I was also looking into the My Book Thunderbolt duo since it is also mac ready but the drawback will be the thunderbolt interface which the ATC does not support.

Also, would like to have access to the file from anywhere.

Mar 23, 2015 2:24 PM in response to Jogats21

File access from anywhere is available on any NAS.. and the TC should manage it via BTMM to the USB if you plan on doing that.

I was planning on the WD My Cloud 6 TB with the mirroring on.

One important point.. Mirror and backup are completely different.

Mirror is to ensure a single drive failure does not cause loss of the files.

However if you corrupt the file as is very possible with iphoto.. you will have no backup.. mirror will be identically corrupted.

A backup to a USB drive plugged into the main computer or plugged into the NAS is still essential to preserve file integrity.. that is why in my way of thinking.. do not buy the duo version .. buy the cheaper single disk version and buy a USB drive of equal size and setup the NAS to backup.. this is automatic on any NAS.

Mar 23, 2015 5:11 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the Feedback.

Ok. So this will be my initial set up then.

1. Airport Time Capsule will be the main back up for the Computer.

2. A single External Drive (NAS) will be the save point for medias. (BTMM setting)

3. A Portable Drive will be a Back Up for the Media. (separate saving process) - I could still attached this to the ATC and External Drive system or should i just attach it to the computer every time I need to save a back up of the media files?

Is this the set up that you are recommending?

Mar 24, 2015 2:43 AM in response to Jogats21

Yes, .. with a few little wrinkles..

I doubt BTMM will work.. that is exclusively an apple thing.. so it will allow remote access to the TC or a disk attached by USB.. not a network drive like a NAS..

However most NAS now have hugely better remote access than BTMM anyway.. so that is not a big issue.

Media tends not to change dramatically and you can do the backup when appropriate .. once a week.. because you are not really going to lose material anyway.. from there it is just what turns out to work for you.

I am setting up my Airport Time Capsule 2TB Apple TV WD My Cloud 4 TB.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.