Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 8.2 tv shows not getting grouped / sorted properly

My iPhone 6 plus with the new 8.2 iOS is now not grouping / sorting my TV Shows properly. It looks like all shows that are in season 1 are grouped together under the same art work. all season 2 shows are grouped together with the same art work. The shows are not grouped by shows... very frustrating.

Is there a way to change the grouping to be by show and not season? Am I the only one with this issue?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.2, MacBookPro Retina 13 2012 OSX 10.10

Posted on Mar 11, 2015 2:10 AM

47 replies

Mar 11, 2015 12:14 PM in response to cheungkm

I thought it was just me.....so I waited to post. Same thing here!

I did a test with an new iPhone 6 last night. upgraded it to 8.2 over the air and it sync'd the shows just fine. Debating about backing up my device and then restoring it to see if it fixes anything. But that will take hours to do 😟

iPhone 6 Plus 64gb, Windows 7 64bit Enterprise, itunes 12.1 (since the latest version killed Home sharing for me)

Mar 11, 2015 11:05 PM in response to cheungkm

I think I may have found a solution. In my library, all of the shows were grouped together except for one, so I went to see what the difference was. And the only difference I could fine was that the "Director" field under "Sorting" was filled in. And it seems if you populate Director with any data, everything returns to normal and shows sort themselves out separately on your iOS device as they should. If there is a logic to this, I don't know what it is... but it seems to sort the matter out.

Mar 14, 2015 5:16 PM in response to Jim Bridges1

I found this same issue; in my case it happened because I had purchased one episode in a series and the others were ripped. Now I note that any shows without the Director sort field filled in get grouped together as one show.

Why the **** was this change introduced? Is it just to keep the goalposts moving for people with large media collections who like them organised? Honestly the nonsense of having the music app use "Album Artist" rather than "Artist" was bad enough - how many bloody tags do we need???

Mar 15, 2015 3:13 AM in response to Sean Aaron

I should say I dont care if Apple wants to introduce these changes to sorting behaviour, but two pretty basic policies should be obvious to anyone: don't make it default behaviour and add a freaking control to the app in settings! I suppose in a future update they'll add a "Group by Director" switch to the video app like they did with music, only years too late....

Mar 15, 2015 11:59 AM in response to thc72

I've got a load of shows I've ripped myself and they're fine. There are three places you need to put the show title in iTunes (I'm assuming you're using that): on the initial tab and then the sorting tab; if you have it in all three places you should be good to go.

And I agree, I don't get why weird stuff like this is happening - even if I wanted to sort by director, there's no way I can see to do that in the video app and why the **** would I put the show title there? Can we not just fix the broken stuff Apple without creating new problems?

Mar 15, 2015 12:33 PM in response to Sean Aaron

Nope went into tabs on iTunes all fine and sorted nicely. put the names ID etc and checked all tabs. However the ones i put my phone or IPAD it just shows season Number for. No big drama unless i have 2 different shows all being say season 2 then they are mixed up. Can see the name so again it is more annoying than anything else.

appreciate your help though

ios 8.2 tv shows not getting grouped / sorted properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.