Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite 10.10.2 Server 4.0.3: Reachability unknown

OK, yesterday's security patch has done something untoward to my machine.

Everything was working fine until I applied yesterday's Security Update 2015-002 (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222). Now the Server application is reporting "Unable to determine reachability" on the main server pane under "Internet." When clicking "Details" it says:

--Reachability

External IP Address: Unkown

Public Host Name: None This server's host name doesn't resolve to your external IP address.

This seems to go along with others reporting the same behavior. See: Reachability shows available on local network instead of internet.

I see this in /var/log/system.log:

Mar 11 10:11:33 {server.mymachine.net} Server[41819]: Error: The server '127.0.0.1' reported an error while processing a command of type: 'getExternalIPAddress' in plug-in: 'servermgr_status'. Error: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1001 "The request timed out." UserInfo=0x608000866080 {NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://serverstatus.apple.com/services/internetaccess/my_external_ip, NSLocalizedDescription=The request timed out., NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://serverstatus.apple.com/services/internetaccess/my_external_ip}

I have a static IP from my internet provider so that I can host services (DNS and Websites) on my Mac Server. I have an internal (NAT) ethernet address of 10.0.1.10. The server's name has always been set to the DNS record (A Host), let's call it "server.mymachine.net" (as shown above).

The top two items in Server/Overview report:

Host Name: (green symbol) server.mymachine.net

Computer Name: (green symbol) server.mymachine.net

Now under Websites tab, the "Status:" reads:

Status: (green) Available on your local network at server-mymachine-net.local

Permissions: All Networks

Under the DNS tab, the "Status:" reads:

Status: (green) Set your network DNS settings to 10.0.1.10 to use this server.

Now before yesterday's patch, the "availability" was always working, and the DNS status read "Set your network DNS settings to 66.123.123.123" (my static IP).

Nothing has changed on my router (Airport Extreme) which has all of the appropriate port forwarding set to direct all DNS, Web, etc. traffic to the internal IP (10.0.10.10). The "Airport Extreme" tab under Server reports all of the proper entries for "Public Services" (DNS, Mail, Websites, etc).

Yes, its true that the STATIC IP given to this machine does not match the A (Host) name that it goes by. I don't want this machine known as 66.123.123.123.static.myprovider.net. Has this patch now forced the matter?

And thanks for reading all the way through to the end. Despite the issue above, all of my websites and DNS services seem to be working fine.

—Michael

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Server 4

Posted on Mar 11, 2015 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2015 8:09 AM

It's caused by an outage in Apple's network. Nothing to do with you.

2 replies

Yosemite 10.10.2 Server 4.0.3: Reachability unknown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.