Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro A1286 Reinstall The Item is temporarily Unavailable OS X

Hi, Macbook Pro A1286 stuck on Mac OS X Utility recovery page. It wouldn't let me do the "Reinstall Mac OS X" option and says "The item is temporarily unavailable." I see two drives, one recovery HD and the other empty formatted hard drive.

Current OS X installed is Mavericks [I think 10.9.1 because that's the version it says on the Recovery HD.

What versions would I need to put on a flash drive/ USB to be able to do a re install via flash drive/ USB? I already downloaded on to the drive and tried 10.9.0 and it wouldn't let me. It gave me the stop sign icon. Also tried 10.9.4 but it woudn't boot up for some reason. I am trying Yosemite now.

Question is if the Macbook came with Snow Leopard [I think] what version can I put on the flash drive to re install via flash drive? Does it have to be something newer than what's currently on it [10.9.1] or does it have to be Snow Leopard [10.6]?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 11, 2015 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2015 10:43 AM

Also there is no Internet Recovery option. Already tried the R + Command + Option. it goes straight to the Recovery menu.

19 replies

Mar 11, 2015 11:37 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I do not have the installation discs and nor do I have an optical drive.

However the DMG files for the OS X are all over the place and I was able to download numerous versions. The formatted hard drive had Mavericks before I formatted and now has 10.9.1 [I believe as that's what it says on the recovery HD].

I tried booting off 10.9.0 off the bootable USB created by TransMac on my Windows but the MBP gave me a stop sign icon after booting with the USB.

I tried booting off 10.9.4 of the bootable USB created by Transmac on my Windows but the usb didn't show up this time and didn't boot.

My windows laptop is buy making the Yosemite USB bootable drive as I speak [only at 21%] These things take hours each to make.

So I was wondering which versions I would have to have on the bootable drive for no stop sign icon errors and to avoid any other re installation errors.

Mar 11, 2015 12:10 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Yes that page except with the Mavericks icon. Here's another link http://i2.wp.com/www.macissues.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/RecoveryHD.png

And when I click the 'Reinstall OS X' option it gives me this error after i sign in to my Apple ID 'This item Is Temporarily Unavailable. Please try again'

Here is a guy on YouTube with the same issue as me showing the error https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OdXs53gaMU

Mar 11, 2015 12:26 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I don't think it is. People have this issue during numerous occasions and the ample number of threads on this matter without a solid solution is frustrating. I don't think it has to do with the Apple Server being down.The problem is persistent and has been like this since yesterday for me and for months on for others. If you click the youtube links and read the comments, you will see many other people frustrated with the same issue, which leads me to believe it is not the Apple server issue.

MacBook Pro A1286 Reinstall The Item is temporarily Unavailable OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.