Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Overheating

What can I do to stop flash player from overheating my MBP w/retina. I have sent it to apple 4 times now and it has been rebuilt from ground up but flash still eats up way too much CPU energy to cause it to over heat to the touch and shuts down. Please help

Posted on Mar 11, 2015 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2015 1:45 PM

It would be helpful if you indicated the EXACT model/year MBP that you have.

What temperatures are being created in your MBP? Install temperature monitoring software such as iStat menus:

http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

When the MBP gets hot, open Activity Monitor to ALL PROCESSES and set CPU to display values from high to low.

Post images of both for review.

Ciao.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2015 1:45 PM in response to Wdman22

It would be helpful if you indicated the EXACT model/year MBP that you have.

What temperatures are being created in your MBP? Install temperature monitoring software such as iStat menus:

http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

When the MBP gets hot, open Activity Monitor to ALL PROCESSES and set CPU to display values from high to low.

Post images of both for review.

Ciao.

Mar 11, 2015 2:32 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I have a late 2013 MBP W/ Retina. I uninstalled Flash because it makes my CPU run very hot. I put a heat gun to it before and read temps as high as 147 degrees at top of the keyboard near where the exhaust fans are. My screen keeps pixelating because of it and shuts down. Apple has taken it in 4 times now to try and repair the issue, and we have come to the agreement that its the flash player using too much of the CPU memory or energy to run. I have gotten nowhere with adobe to find a fix. I will reinstall flash to give you an idea at idle and when it is in use.

Mar 11, 2015 2:56 PM in response to Wdman22

Adobe Flash Player has always been an energy hog, as your Activity Monitor confirms. Click the Energy tab in Activity Monitor for additional justification.

There is no reason to expect Adobe has the knowledge or motivation to change anything about that fact. Flash is quite old and pretty much a dead-end product.

Are you absolutely certain you need it? Many websites will function perfectly fine without it. The easiest way to find out is to uninstall it: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html. If you decide you really need it, download and install it again: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/, and live with its shortcomings.

To ensure you are obtaining legitimate software, don't download it from anyplace other than those two sites.

Mar 11, 2015 3:49 PM in response to Wdman22

Is there an alternative for flash out there?

Sure, HTML5 for instance, but whatever site hosting the content has to make it available. It's not something you can do on your own, other than to refuse to patronize the sites that are too lazy to update their content.

It's like this: Adobe Flash Player doesn't run on iOS. If a website or content provider doesn't care enough to make their content available to the hundreds of millions of iPads and iPhones out there, they're not serious about distributing their content.

Your MBP can handle a lot of heat, more than would be comfortable for you to hold, which causes understandable concern. Thermal protection consisting of hardware and firmware independent of the MBP's operating system will shut it down if required.

Mar 11, 2015 11:37 PM in response to John Galt

Ran a diagnostics, it only said I have a charging issue with the battery. I contacted support on that but they are referring the whole issue to engineering again. After the diagnostics, I turned on Candy crush and snapshotted Istat on startup up of the game, and I snap shotted after playing just 1 man on the game. Heres what they looked like.

Mar 12, 2015 2:45 AM in response to Wdman22

The highest temperatures that the display shows are not lethal to the MBP and may well be\'normal' for the stress placed on the CPU/GPU. However the fan speeds are suspiciously slow. Note that the Apple Hardware if error free is not to be relied on.

The best option is an appointment at an Apple store genius bar for a FREE evaluation.

Ciao.

Macbook Pro Overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.