Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iMovie support 4K video editing and export?

Does the latest version of iMovie support 4K video export? I have seen that it supports XAVC-S from Sony, but I do not know if 4K XAVC-S is supported too.

Thank you for answer.

P.S.: If not, would it be able to in near future?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 11, 2015 2:34 PM

8 replies

Mar 23, 2015 11:05 PM in response to TomášJ

Hi TomasJ:

What a coincidence I am trying to find the same answer since they mention support for the XAVC-S codec, somewhere they mention this in relation to FCPX because they expect support in the next update and they mention the fact that it would be upcoming since they announced the support for iMovie in the last 10.07 ver.

I have not used IMovie for a long time I don't even know if you can edit 4K in its time line but like you say, if they support XAVC-S, they should support 4K editing.

Thanks,

AppleLou

Mar 25, 2015 1:46 PM in response to TomášJ

Hi Tomas J:

If you can edit 4K in iMovie then you can do the edit and transfer to project to FCPX for a 4K output if you're limited. but either way you need to get FCPX for output.

I still think XAVC-S is not fully supported by FCPX many problems encountered with the Import window.

Ingesting clips into FCPX does not mean that it support it, as this has to do with recognizing the file structure for the codec in the SD, card.

In my case importing from the FCPX import window if I have all 4K XAVC-S clips, FCPX will see the SD card as a Volume and not as a Camera but if I add a reg Mp4 clip or AVCHD clip to the rest of the 4K clips on the same card it will recognize it as a Camera the way it supposed to work. Go figure Why???? I wonder how you have been doing it since you have the AX-100 which the same file structure than the AX-33 that I have.

Thanks

AppleLou

Mar 26, 2015 8:59 AM in response to AppleLou

Exactly! I have to admit that you are right that FCPX probably does not fully support 4K XAVC-S clips. I do not see them too in the import window.

I am new to FCPX and I do not paid for it (just use the trial right now). But to import the clips to FCPX I have to go through the file structure and double click the exact clips I want to import. I full aware that this is not the best solution and I lost some information or quality but on the other hand I am not geek. That is why FCPX is way too complicated for my basic editing and I have tried to find a way to edit videos in iMovie and get a 4K footage.

What is your opinion on importing the exact clips the way I did it? I have to say that the videos are absolutely great as for the quality of image and that is all I look for.

Thanks,

Tomas

Mar 26, 2015 12:54 PM in response to TomášJ

Hi Tomas J

the problem is that if you have nothing but 4k XAVC clips in the card and you try to import from the Import window

FCPX will not see the card as a Camera and only as a Volume. You cannot do Camera archives from a volume but you are able to do Camera Archives if it is detected by FCPX as a Camera. The reason I like to do Camera Archives is that that way I transfer the whole content of the SD card in one pass to a container that I can transfer to any HD that is hooked up or connected to the computer usually avoiding the main or boot drive and I can bring that container or Archive into the Favorites column of the import window pf FCPX ,opened and start importing from there. This has two main advantages 1 Once I create the archive and have all my clips in its container I can wipe the card clean and start using it again, 2 If I placed it in the Favorites colum of the import window I can open it and start importing to FCPX as if it was any card, Also you can move this container or archive any where as long as it is connected to your computer and if you have finished and don't plan to use it anymore you can store it for keeps with all the original files you shot in any storage for keeps. You also preserve the file structure of the SD card That is why I need FCPX to recognize the SD card as a CAMERA AND NOT AS A VOLUME when using 4K XAVC-S clips. The way you are doing it may be ok up to a point only for a few clips here and there but if you're preserving or making a Movie of you vacation or other events that would be an Immense task.

The Sony AX-100 camera that you have has the same file structure that the AX-33 if you import nothing but 4K XAVC-S clips without mixing mp4 or AVCHD ON THE SAME CARD Have you found the same problem????

Thank You,

AppleLou

Jan 2, 2016 3:47 PM in response to AppleLou

Hi, just bought a sony FDR AX33 camcorder and cannot load the video into iMovie "11 version 9.09. I had an older sony camcorder that crashed but I was able to import 1080 HD into this same iMovie. I think there is the problem you stated with the program not seeing the Sd card as a volume not a camera. I am not familiar with importing to the archives. Do I access that archives from iMovie or where? I am able to import 4K video with my GoPro into iPhoto but this new camera will not import to iPhoto either. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Susanfc

Does iMovie support 4K video editing and export?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.