Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G5 kernel problem, Ram OK

My G5(Dual 2Ghz PPC, OS 10.5.8) does not appear to have outright kernel "panic" based on what I see looking at the console log entries. ONce in the last day it appeared to "panic" but I found no evidence on the log. The only key thing about it was the fans revved to full output and I had no keyboard or mouse controls. I was forced to shutdown with the power button. I keep getting THIS error when the fans rev for a bit(today)

Mar 11 14:41:19 G5 kernel[0]: { 41 810400} UniNEnet::restartReceiver

. . . but they just increase in speed a bit for a few seconds and go back to normal.

also, it almost continously pumps out THIS message:

Mar 11 14:40:31 G5-basement mDNSResponder[18]: ERROR: getOptRdata - unknown opt 65002

Mar 11 14:40:31 G5-basement mDNSResponder[18]: ERROR: getOptRdata - unknown opt 4

. . . every few seconds.

Would anyone know the function of MDNSResponder or the kernel entry above? POssibly, might be enough to point in some direction.

I have already eliminated unneccessary startup items.

thanks!

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G5 dual 2GHz PPC

Posted on Mar 11, 2015 1:15 PM

15 replies

Mar 11, 2015 3:37 PM in response to BDAqua

Hello again Aqua! You've helped me before. However, you may be giving me too much credit. . . no clue what Wake on Lan is. . . guessing the network has something pinging this mac trying to wake it? also, the Bonjour thingie. . . huh?@! sorry no clue. Tonight after done I will pull the Ethernet cord and let you know how console response changes. thanks, so far.

Mar 12, 2015 9:45 AM in response to BDAqua

OK. I have to redefine the problem. After this happened again I am better equipped to define problem.

This looks like a failure to come out of sleep mode, not kernel related. I was off on this because I simply saw the word kernel in the log. . .ha! Anyway, here is the deal: The Mac will come out of sleep as long as I don't leave it in that mode long. SO, if I force it to sleep using the command and few min elapse. . . it will come out of sleep seamlessly via pressing a key. However, I suspect from a 2nd occurrance last night that when it goes to sleep on its own due to no activity. . . it may be more likely to rev the fans and go nuts-- ie NOT responsive to key input or mouse.

answers to your questions: I pullled the plug on E'net last night and it killed the Uninet message. (I use a DSL MODEM, have a Mac Airport Time Capsule.)

It looks like the mDNS responder message is related to the E'net. . . Failing to find the Domain Name Server . . . continuously or something??

"3/12/15 11:25:31 AM mDNSResponder[18] ERROR: getOptRdata - unknown opt 65002 "

and, No, I did NOT have Wake for E'net admin access enabled. SO, I enabled it to see if there is a change.

Before enabling the "Wake" though I have a console script of a few hundred lines with my notes. . . let me know if I should dump it here or attach a file, please. I'm sure with this new description you might take this in a new direction. By the way, on my MacBook Air and iMac I use OPEN DNS. In addition, a review of console logs on the Air shows no messages like this. Thanks!

Mar 12, 2015 11:15 AM in response to Brian Schreiber

OK, thanks.

This is generally related to some attached device going into big sleep after a certain period & the OS not being able to reconnect when it awakens... for what ever reason... HW or SW.

Open console in Applications>Utilities, check the system log for the date/time of the last problem & the Startup right after that for clues.

Click on the top line we want, Shift plus click on the bottom line we want, CMD+c to copy, then paste the text in a reply with CMD+v

A few dozen lines should be about right, hundreds or thousands won't likely be readable.

But if the whole thing is needed it'd be best to upload the text somewhere & a link to it so it can be viewed in some other app than a browser. 🙂

Mar 12, 2015 1:21 PM in response to BDAqua

OK, tonight I will try to force the event and dump console records. thx. By the way, I have a bluetooth dongle for my magic mouse. . . Maybe I will try with bluetooth turned off and repeat with it ON, to see a difference.

I tried to find evidence of the not waking from sleep "area" on the console records last night and could not find it. . . maybe YOU will be able to see it with more trained eyes! I notice you are asking for system log; I was monitoring "all messages"-- that may be the reason.

Mar 20, 2015 7:08 AM in response to BDAqua

Hey there BDAqua,

I was able to recreate the problem. NOW, I at least know the source. I accidentally touched the USB mouse and it failed to bring the G5 out of sleep but rev the engine to an idle-- about 600 RPM!(kidding). Then, I figured it out. I knew if I touched the keyboard, it would do nothing, sure enough. I went out and returned in 2 hrs and founding the G5 wide open throttle(WOT) on all engines. Only way to kill it was to push the Start / OFF button down for a few seconds. SO, it appears to be a problem with the USB mouse pushing the wake up call but the Mac can only respond by go to idle and no-wakey. Got some ideas?!

Mar 20, 2015 7:10 AM in response to Brian Schreiber

. . . forgot to say. I also use a Magic Mouse, mainly, in fact. The wired USB mouse is only in case the Magic mouse can't make a Bluetooth connection and I get tired of playing around to get it going. I go to Bluetooth prefs and tell it to go find it. . . It is set as discoverable but sometimes it fails to accomplish that big task.

Mar 21, 2015 11:54 AM in response to Brian Schreiber

Hmmm, seems we have more than one problem.

In Sys Prefs>Sharing, is the Computer Name correct there?

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

For 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8/10.9 > Network Pref Pane, highlight Interface>Advanced button>DNS tab>little + icon.

Try putting these numbers in...

Also, could there be any interference with the Bluetooth problem?

Mar 25, 2015 8:48 AM in response to BDAqua

Hello BD. . . OK, new things I've learned:

-- I have had both the wired & wireless mice connected in the past. I figured there may be a "problem" with that and so, disconnected the wired cheese eater. Even though it makes things easier when the wireless feller fails to connect after being dormant. I found that NO problems occur with coming out of sleep for four days. I have also left the wireless guy "hot"-- normally I turn his belly switch off when done with the computer for a while. The G5 has been coming out of sleep just fine and no raging fan runs.

-- maybe this solves the problem, just get used to plugging in the wired mouse if I loose connection. . .

-- Regarding your input: well, not sure about the name. I checked and it showed its normal name in the dialog box but without the .local extension, so I pressed Edit and up popped the .local in gray and I left it that way.

-- as to a new location, not sure why or what the purpose is you are aiming at but I did as you suggested and the following images show present state of network. Don't forget I signed up for OPEN DNS since we started the conversation. . .

Let me know more background on why the location change and whether to leave it as is please. thanks!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

G5 kernel problem, Ram OK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.