Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the MacBook 2015 support target disk mode?

Will the new MacBook support using the only port it has USB-C to thunderbolt for target disk mode booting?

thanks

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 11, 2015 2:32 PM

10 replies

Mar 12, 2015 3:41 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Target Disk Mode is only usable on Firewire. If Apple provides a USB-C to Firewire adaptor then you could use TDM.

Not true: You can access Target Disk Mode through Thunderbolt ports.

I don't know enough about USB-C to know whether TDM is possible: certainly TDM isn't possible on USB-A ports. We'll all have to keep reading the reviews once the hardware is released.

Apr 5, 2016 4:23 PM in response to lawson208

Because you 2015 Macbook does not have a thunderbolt port. The only other option is to use file sharing. You can do it with an ethernet to usb c adapter or using wifi with file sharing on . You just use the go menu and connect to server. browse for the other computer and type in the user name and password for that computer. It will put the icon for the other computers drive on your desktop. You can then drag the files between the two https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445

Apr 6, 2016 2:44 PM in response to lawson208

There is a way to use the USB-C port and appropriate adapter with 2015 12-inch MacBook Retina

to make use of Target Disk Mode. (Target Display Mode is a different animal, so this won't apply.

...Since this model 2015 12-inch MacBook Retina does not have Thunderbolt hardware.)

See:

Re: Will the USB-C to USB-C target disk mode for 12" Retina MacBook support booting from a connected computer with a compatible OS installed as did the Target Disk mode for Thunderbolt and Firewire?

Note the information at bottom of Support Article linked within the above thread, where the method

is confirmed, and additional reading is to be found there about how to connect to do this.

• Using the USB-C port and adapters on your MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015) - Apple Support

"Your MacBook with USB-C port supports USB target disk mode. You can enable target disk mode &

use the following USB-C cables to transfer data. These cables are not currently available from Apple."

• USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 USB-A to USB-C Cable: Use this cable to manually transfer data from any Mac notebook with USB-A port(s) to your MacBook with USB-C port. This cable cannot be used to migrate data using the Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant application.
  • USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 USB-C Cable (USB-C to USB-C): Use this cable to migrate data from any MacBook with a USB-C port to another MacBook with USB-C port using the Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant application.

"To enable target disk mode, hold down the T button on your keyboard while starting your MacBook.

Then connect either of the USB-C cables described above. The USB-C Charge Cable (2m) supplied

with your MacBook doesn't support target disk mode."

Hopefully this can shed some light on the topic, if not for your situation, for later followers.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Apr 7, 2016 8:49 AM in response to K Shaffer

Thanks K!

I was actually following this also, and had concerns since the article mentions "from any Mac notebook with USB-A port(s)". My mac mini has USB-A 3.0 ports, I am hoping TDM is not limited to ONLY Mac notebooks...

I have already ordered a USB-A 3.0 to USB-C cable from Amazon, I will advise if it works.

http://www.amazon.com/Kinps%C2%AENylon-Braided-Charging-MacBook-Devices/dp/B019D WWB5C?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A1IKRNZYE9GX0F

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-USB-C-USB-A-Black/dp/B00YT688U0?ie=UTF8&psc= 1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_2&s…

Does the MacBook 2015 support target disk mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.