Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Despite having 474GB free space when trying to paste an 85GB item for backup it says that there is not enough space???

I have just upgraded my iCloud storage but despite seeing that plenty of space is available, 474GB, it will not let me backup my Photo Library which is 85GB.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 1:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 1:23 AM

There is a size limit of 15GB for individual items on iCloud Drive. So you cannot move an 85GB item there.

But do not even think of storing your iPhoto Library on iCloud Drive. The syncing will corrupt it and it will be useless. An iPhoto Library needs to be on a locally mounted volume as described here: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

The new Photos app for Mac will be able to create a photo library in iCloud and convert your iPhoto, ready for iCloud. It is to be released soon with MacOS 10.10.3.

See the Preview: Apple - OS X - Photos Preview

Just wait a bit longer, then you will have a supported way to store your Photos in iCloud.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2015 1:23 AM in response to Ridders123

There is a size limit of 15GB for individual items on iCloud Drive. So you cannot move an 85GB item there.

But do not even think of storing your iPhoto Library on iCloud Drive. The syncing will corrupt it and it will be useless. An iPhoto Library needs to be on a locally mounted volume as described here: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

The new Photos app for Mac will be able to create a photo library in iCloud and convert your iPhoto, ready for iCloud. It is to be released soon with MacOS 10.10.3.

See the Preview: Apple - OS X - Photos Preview

Just wait a bit longer, then you will have a supported way to store your Photos in iCloud.

Despite having 474GB free space when trying to paste an 85GB item for backup it says that there is not enough space???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.