Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.2 swallowing all available storage space

I've got an iPhone 5S with 16GB storage, and updated to iOS 8.2 the other day. Since yesterday, I've been noticing that the available storage on my phone is persistently at 0 bytes, and 'used'' is at 12GB. I know full well that the whole 16GB isn't available for the user, and 12GB is about right, but what I can't understand is that when I managed to upload a load of photos to Dropbox, then delete them from my photos gallery, it shows an amount of free space for a short while, then that disappears. It's the same with Apps, I've deleted a couple of large apps of 100MB+, but the available space is 0 bytes.

I've even uploaded a huge batch of photos to Dropbox, deleted them from 'photos', and from deleted items, and confirmed that the usage showed 2.9GB available space. An hour later, I try to upload another batch to dropbox, and it crashes repeatedly because something has swallowed that 2.9GB already.

When I go into Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage, it shows I have about 1.6GB of photos and the sum total of every other app listed is somewhere in the region of 1.5GB. This includes a total of 153MB of music. I don't sync any videos.

So what on earth can fill up nearly 3GB storage in an hour when there are no apps open?

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 5:06 AM

24 replies

Mar 12, 2015 8:22 AM in response to LaurenceMadill

Just as an updated to this, I've deleted a further 1GB of photos, and available storage is still 0 bytes.

I have deleted them from 'deleted photos'.

By the way, because there is zero bytes of space available on the phone, i will not be able to do a Backup via iTunes to backup the stuff.

I hope you are reading this, Apple...what on earth is your software doing? I cannot text, I cannot user whatsapp, I cannot open an app that uses any amount of storage now, each of them crashes because of no space available

Mar 19, 2015 2:39 PM in response to LaurenceMadill

I'm having a similar problem with my two iPads - a 128 GB iPad4 and a 128 GB iPad Mini3, both running iOS8.1. I first noticed the problem yesterday, and spent some time trying to diagnose what was going on this morning. Whatever storage space I opened up by either deleting Apps or videos, the open storage space would slowly get mysteriously gobbled up between times when I would return to the Usage/Manage Usage screen, and within 30 minutes would count down to 0 bytes available. I opened up over 10GB in a couple of steps, and in both cases, the storage would slowly count down to 0. I even took a snapshot of the detailed usage of all my top Apps (everything using > ~300MB), and none of these top usage apps were increasing in used storage size. I also tried shutting down every app, re-booted a couple of time, and went back to the Usage screen to see what was going on. In one case, the open storage space appeared to get larger, but when I backed out of the detailed usage-by-app screen, the available storage space had quickly dropped back to zero.

Any assistance or suggestions of something to try would be welcome.

Mar 19, 2015 8:07 PM in response to LaurenceMadill

Same issue guys.

Apple, really?! I thought 8.2 was suppose to fix all the capacity issues. At this point we can't even backup/restore as iTunes yells its out if space. Please address it ASAP. Many people are being affected. My phone is now useless, since there's no cache to send emails/messages, take photos, etc.

Guys, whoever else having this issue, please Like LauranceMadill's original post so Apple pays attention to this.

Mar 26, 2015 7:25 PM in response to skr829

I have this same problem :/ Every time I check my available storage the amount has decreased. I am considering just buying an Android phone at this point since Apple already forces me to keep it's proprietary apps (I think I should be able to delete any app except "settings" and "app store" as those allow me to reinstall any app and adjust functionality)...in any case my phone is slowly losing all it's storage space due to this problem with ios 8.2 and Apple's desire to never let me delete anything and to install new apps with software updates that it will never let me delete. :/ I am going to make my own thread about this and link back here because ugggh.

Mar 27, 2015 5:08 AM in response to LaurenceMadill

Hi!

my wife's iPad mini 2 had the same issue around 9GB of her space on iOS 8.2 was occupied with "other". I erased the iPad and restored it but it was all the same all over again, within a few hours the remaining space would fill up and the iPad would crash and have no space available anymore.

Now here is the weird thing that helped: I enrolled my wife's iPad in the beta test program. Once I did that, you can download a specific "profile" file that is only a few hundred kb in size. Once installed it triggers a reboot. and BOOM! After that reboot (without installing the beta) all "other" storage stuff was gone, suddenly more than 9GB were free on her iPad. I suspect that the installation of the "profile" triggered something (or the reboot following it) that freed up the phantom storage....

Anyhow, not sure if that helps anyone as getting this profile requires being invited to the iOS beta program and that is done by Apple....But it also means that there is a very easy and simple solution for everyone suffering from this on the horizon.

Cheers!!

iOS 8.2 swallowing all available storage space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.