Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after upgrade to Yosemite DNS will not start.

Ever since I upgraded to Yosemite / Server 4 I am unable to start the DNS server.

Here is what I am seeing:

osxs:Server root# serveradmin start dns

dns:state = "STOPPED"

Mar 12 08:06:50 osxs com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.system): Could not import service from caller: caller = smd.175, service = org.isc.named, error = 119: Service is disabled

Mar 12 08:06:50 osxs.rkj.private com.apple.serverd[31]: ERROR: SMJobSubmit: The operation couldn’t be completed. (CFErrorDomainLaunchd error 9.)

I have installed server on my workstation and DNS works fine on it.

I rsynced /Library/Server/named/ from my workstation to the server. Edited named.conf to change the listen address.

I saw people complaining about a similar issue after upgrading to Mavericks but this does not look like the same issue.

/var/db/launchd.db/com.apple.launchd/overrides.plist did not have an entry for org.isc.named but I added one in case it was defaulting to true

<key>org.isc.named</key>

<dict>

<key>Disabled</key>

<false/>

</dict>

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 7:19 AM

What version of OS X did you upgrade from?

First, try and see if the process is active in launchd:

sudo launchctl list | grep named

If the DNS service is running, you should get back a result like (your process ID will differ):

188 0 org.isc.named

If you get no result, try loading named manually using:

sudo /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin/name-f &

Watch the system.log for feedback.

You can also check your zone and config files for proper syntax. For example, use this command to check the conf file. If you get no results, the assumption is that the file is formatted properly:

sudo /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin/named-checkconf /Library/Server/named/named.conf

Use this command to check the zone files. Repeat for each zone and zone file. Here is for the forward zone. Obviously, replace my zone name and path to zone file with those for your server. Here you should get an OK status.

sudo /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin/named-checkzone carbontechnologies.com /Library/Server/named/db.carbontechnologies.com

zone carbontechnologies.com/IN: loaded serial 2014102701

OK

Let's start there. Check the files to ensure they are proper. Then try and start the service manually.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "Yosemite Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Control and Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2015 7:19 AM in response to Rndy

What version of OS X did you upgrade from?

First, try and see if the process is active in launchd:

sudo launchctl list | grep named

If the DNS service is running, you should get back a result like (your process ID will differ):

188 0 org.isc.named

If you get no result, try loading named manually using:

sudo /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin/name-f &

Watch the system.log for feedback.

You can also check your zone and config files for proper syntax. For example, use this command to check the conf file. If you get no results, the assumption is that the file is formatted properly:

sudo /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin/named-checkconf /Library/Server/named/named.conf

Use this command to check the zone files. Repeat for each zone and zone file. Here is for the forward zone. Obviously, replace my zone name and path to zone file with those for your server. Here you should get an OK status.

sudo /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin/named-checkzone carbontechnologies.com /Library/Server/named/db.carbontechnologies.com

zone carbontechnologies.com/IN: loaded serial 2014102701

OK

Let's start there. Check the files to ensure they are proper. Then try and start the service manually.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "Yosemite Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Control and Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Mar 18, 2015 12:26 PM in response to Strontium90

Hi Strontium90,

I am having this same issue, the DNS service will not start from the Server app or the CLI serveradmin command.

I followed your instructions and the configuration file and zone files check out OK.

I can get the "named" service to load manually using the command that you provided (slightly altered to change "name-f" to "named"), but after a reboot it won't load automatically, from Server app, or serveradmin command line. I have to manually start it again.

I enabled verbose logging and tried to start the DNS service using the serveradmin command and here are the errors that I get:

Mar 18 13:26:12 macmini.mydomain.com sudo[8789]: Andrew : TTY=ttys000 ; PWD=/Users/Andrew ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin/serveradmin start dns

Mar 18 13:26:12 macmini.mydomain.com serveradmin[8790]: Connected to the Notify Service

Mar 18 13:26:12 macmini com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.system): Could not import service from caller: caller = smd.204, service = org.isc.named, error = 119: Service is disabled

Mar 18 13:26:12 macmini.mydomain.com com.apple.serverd[36]: ERROR: SMJobSubmit: The operation couldn’t be completed. (CFErrorDomainLaunchd error 9.)

Mar 18 13:26:12 macmini.mydomain.com configd[34]: preference: NAT disabled

Mar 18 13:26:21 macmini com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.bundles[8793]): Could not find uid associated with service: 0: Undefined error: 0 501

Mar 18 13:26:21 macmini com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.bundles): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Mar 18 13:26:31 macmini com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.bundles[8799]): Could not find uid associated with service: 0: Undefined error: 0 501

Mar 18 13:26:31 macmini com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.bundles): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Any additional help you can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrew

Jun 9, 2015 5:45 PM in response to Strontium90

Hi,

I quite new ta server.app - had various services woking fine - but have problem to have then all OK on same install - so I reinstall all the os a few time in the past month... Now:

My DNS service stopped itself I guess... I just constat this today...

If I try to switch it "on"... it goes back immediately on "off". So i tried to recreate it's configuration automatically from SERVER tab / host name etc... but the process can't finish - and i have to cancel to exit from this window...

FOR DNS probem:

1/ sudo launchctl list | grep named

RETUNS:

- 1 org.isc.named

SO i guess it's fine

2/ BUT:

xs:~ adminxs$ sudo /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin/named-checkconf

RETUNS

open: /Library/Server/named/named.conf: file not found

ANY HELP? thanks

(I also have an other issue = caching service is not caching anything - nor from server 'update' nor from any 'client ' update-or applestore download')

after upgrade to Yosemite DNS will not start.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.