Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto

Hi, i have a mac book air and i would like to move my iphoto library 9.6 on a external hard disc, i tried but now they are telling me that it's going to take 2 days!!! It's only 25GB is that normal? do they have a fastest way to do it? Thanks in advance for your help!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 8:41 AM

is your external drive directly connected and formatted correctly as MacOS X Extended (Journaled)?

An iPhoto Library needs to be on directly mounted volume, see: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

Usually the estimates for the time needed for copying a library are much too high.

Wait and see.

4 replies

Mar 12, 2015 9:55 AM in response to caromou

It's a SD Card

That's why it's so slow. You will never get adequate performance out of an iPhoto Library located on an SD card or any memory card. The transfer rate is nowhere near that of a hard drive.

That being said, you'd format it the same as you would an external hard drive. Launch Disk Utility, select the card in the left pane and go from there.

User uploaded file

Iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.