Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I deactivate the captive.apple.com feature?

How do I deactivate the "captive.apple.com Authentication Required" popup on my iPhone and iPad when I try to access the Internet from my home WIFI, even though my WIFI network has a check mark indicating connectivity?

I know that I have connectivity because for a couple of seconds before this popup appears and stops further access, my email updates or the desired web page appears for a moment.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 11:41 AM

settings>wifi and select your connection. Select the "i" blue. Switch off the automatic login

19 replies

Mar 12, 2015 9:06 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

The link that you provided does not help.

I do not wish to log on to a "captive" network.

When I select my home Wi-Fi network on my iPhone and my iPad as prescribed in your article, it connects (I get a check mark next to that name). BUT immediately afterward, I get the "captive.apple.com Authentication Required " pop up along with my device IP address.

The software apparently identifies my home network as a "captive" network, like in an airport and expects that a log on ID and password is required.

I have never had this problem before I installed iOS 8.2.

Oct 22, 2016 8:32 AM in response to Thermanator

When you first connect to a WiFi network the iPhone tests to see if the network requires web-based login. It does this by attempting captive.apple.com. If it succeeds then there is no action on your part required; the network does not require web-based login. If it fails the WiFi network will intercept the connection attempt and display the WiFi network's web-based login page, so you can log in to it.

There is a problem if you attempt to connect to the same network at a later time; since it worked once, iOS will not attempt to connect to captive.apple.com again. What you need to do in this case is open Safari and go to a well-known site, like google.com. This will again present the WiFi network's login page.

Oct 22, 2016 4:05 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I did that and it brought me to the normal login for my home network but right after it went to the captive page. I ended up resetting my router and modem and everything worked. For my specific case I think it has to do with the fact that I have xfinity for my internet. For anyone who doesn't know, any wifi comcast network (home or business) can be used by any Comcast customer as long as they log into the wifi app with there Comcast login. With this being said I think that there was a glitch with my network and somehow thought it wasnt mine so that's why captive kept wanting me to login.

How do I deactivate the captive.apple.com feature?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.