Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

activation lock problems

Here is the situation. ipad was restored. When asked to unlock the device at the activation lock page the Apple id of the owner didn't unlock the device. There has been only one owner of this ipad. It is not a second hand iPad and that is the owners Apple id. now this iPad does not work. What can be done in this case?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 8:39 AM

7 replies

Apr 8, 2015 11:26 PM in response to Philly_Phan

I believe this is a back-end problem and nothing to do with the device itself. I'm having the same problem right now and working it through with Apple support in Adelaide. Applied restore/update using iTunes but could not re-apply the original activation appleid/password as used when the device was originally purchased and activated by me (I have the receipt). The device was visible in iCloud for the relevant appleid under "Find my iPhone" and listed as a device in the Settings section. After doing some online research the first thing I did was delete the device from the iCloud "Find My iPhone" page - note that it still appeared in iCloud Settings page. Used iTunes to restore/update the device again but could still not activate. Called Apple Support and was on the phone for 2 hours and spoke with 5 support staff. The last technician did concede that there was something inconsistent and that the activation process appeared to have not completed properly. He said he'd get back to me by email when he'd worked it out. That was 2 days ago. This morning I accessed iCloud and noted that the device had now also disappeared from the iCloud Settings page so assumed that Apple had fixed whatever "inconsistency" had previously occurred. I tried another restore/update with iTunes and still no luck with activation. I will report back to this forum once the problem is resolved.

Apr 20, 2015 3:07 AM in response to JonThePom

Well, what a palava. After a week I ended up calling back and immediately got through to a tech who knew what he was doing. It turns out my daughter had set up another appleid and used it on the device. Two appleids is doable but is very confusing until its explained to you - I'm not going to try here. Anyway, with the help of the tech we re-instated the original appleid and simplified the resulting mixed appleid app set up as best possible. Took almost an hour of changing appleid emails, verifying them, re-activating, changing appleid emails, reverifying, restoring, restarting, etc etc. I recommend avoiding running with two appleids unless you absolutely know what you're doing. Not for the feint hearted!

activation lock problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.