Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New hard disk on old imac - best way to transfer back-up from Time Machine??

Hello,

The hard disk on my 2008 iMac died and I just got my computer back from the repair guy, who installed a new hard disk (and the latest Yosemite).

Which is the best (and most fail-proof) way for me to transfer all the stuff from the old hard disk - which is on my Time Machine – to the new one?

Before getting repaired, my iMac was running on Mavericks. My Internet access has also changed (it broke down the same week… ). Don't know it that makes a difference.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 9:22 AM

1 reply

Mar 12, 2015 9:38 AM in response to Zertie

Connect your backup drive to the computer. Because you had Mavericks installed before you can only restore your Home folder from the backup. Use Migration Assistant in the Utilities folder to transfer your Home folder, third-party applications and support files, and system preferences. Upon completion you will have two user accounts. The one you are now using and the migrated one. Log out of the account you are using then log into the migrated account. Open Users & Groups preferences, click on the lock icon and enter your admin password for the migrated account. Select the account you were using and click on the Delete [-] button. Select the option to delete immediately.

How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

Migration Assistant tips and tricks

New hard disk on old imac - best way to transfer back-up from Time Machine??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.