Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ichat, jpg file will not transfer but eps files do transfer

I am using iChat Version 8.0 (4226) on a Macbook Pro OS 10.9.5., 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB 1600 MHz DDr3. Text and voice works fine, however file transfers work with some file types but not others. Screen grabs, jpg’s and psd files do not go through. I get the message: A direct connection could not be established. The connection was refused. Zipped files and eps files transfer with no issues. I am especially puzzled that some file types transfer and others do not. I would appreciate any help in sorting through this matter.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 2:04 PM

Hi,

I am going to be pedantic over this.

There is no iChat 8.

iChat stopped in Lion at iChat 6 and a bit

In Mountain Lion the app became Messages with all of the main iChat function plus the iMessages account.

I take it from your post though that you are talking about using an Account type that was present in iChat before the Upgrade.

Direct Connection tells me that it is an AIM Account.

In early version of iChat the app used to login to the AIM Servers on port 5190 using the TCP protocol.

Direct IMs bypased the server and connected direct to your Buddy on port 5190 but using the UDP protocol (there is not longer an option to invoke this in Messages)

Group Chats do the Same and so do File Transfers that also includes Pics-in-Chats. (these do this automatically and an ordinary Chat is converted to Direct IM when sending files)

Regular Posters here though would recommend logging in on port 443.

Now in Messages (and the later iChat versions) the app Logs in on port 443

This is a port that is always open on a router similar to the ones used by Web Browsers (80) and the Mail App (110, 567, 569, 993 and others including 443)

Ports above a threshold of 1024 have to opened or allowed in your router.

How this is done is dependent on the abilities of the router and how many computers you might have.

UPnP is a method that can open the ports in a way that means several computers and other devices can use the same ports.

If not used the ports close after a period of none use.

User uploaded file

9:04 pm Thursday; March 12, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2015 2:04 PM in response to QueenAnnesLace

Hi,

I am going to be pedantic over this.

There is no iChat 8.

iChat stopped in Lion at iChat 6 and a bit

In Mountain Lion the app became Messages with all of the main iChat function plus the iMessages account.

I take it from your post though that you are talking about using an Account type that was present in iChat before the Upgrade.

Direct Connection tells me that it is an AIM Account.

In early version of iChat the app used to login to the AIM Servers on port 5190 using the TCP protocol.

Direct IMs bypased the server and connected direct to your Buddy on port 5190 but using the UDP protocol (there is not longer an option to invoke this in Messages)

Group Chats do the Same and so do File Transfers that also includes Pics-in-Chats. (these do this automatically and an ordinary Chat is converted to Direct IM when sending files)

Regular Posters here though would recommend logging in on port 443.

Now in Messages (and the later iChat versions) the app Logs in on port 443

This is a port that is always open on a router similar to the ones used by Web Browsers (80) and the Mail App (110, 567, 569, 993 and others including 443)

Ports above a threshold of 1024 have to opened or allowed in your router.

How this is done is dependent on the abilities of the router and how many computers you might have.

UPnP is a method that can open the ports in a way that means several computers and other devices can use the same ports.

If not used the ports close after a period of none use.

User uploaded file

9:04 pm Thursday; March 12, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 12, 2015 2:19 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

As to why certain Picture formats work and others don't I am not entirely sure..

jpegs can be corrupt (is how the only Virus on OS X arrived on your Mac)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_%28computer_worm%29

Basically now though of Malware rather than a Virus.

You had to download the corrupt jpeg and then try to Open it to get it to install.

It only then affected iChat and spread only to other computer connected via Bonjour

Screen Grabs can be set to one of several formats so I would look at changing them.

I use .png

PSDs can hold so much info about the picture that the file size may not "look right" to the Messages app/Aim Servers in this case.

As you have found out Zipped files seems to work.

User uploaded file

9:19 pm Thursday; March 12, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 19, 2015 6:52 AM in response to QueenAnnesLace

I appreciate your help and your comments. I stand corrected, I am indeed using Messages. I started with iChat several years ago and I used that name without thinking. I looked at the account settings and my active account is AOL and I am using port 443 with SSL. There is also a iMessage, gmail and bonjour account that is listed in the accounts settings box but they are inactive. Perhaps I need to research trying to use a different account within Message.

I use Messages on a daily basis and transfer many files every day. I am certain that I have no issues with file size. The files that do not go through are not corrupt or too large. If the file transfers did not work at all it would make more sense but it does not work for certain file types. Since I use this extensively with my work it is very inconvenient to have to zip files, especially when that was unnecessary before. I have two work mates and we all have the same issue.

Again, I appreciate any perspective you may have on this.

Mar 20, 2015 12:40 PM in response to QueenAnnesLace

User uploaded file for the User uploaded file Points.

I do find that AIM transfers between different versions of iChat and Messages can seemingly vary.

For Instance on My iMac in both Mavericks and Yosemite I have not managed and AIM transfer to iChat 5 but I can do a Bonjour one.

To iChat 4 I don't seem to always to Bonjour but can do AIM.

I know that my router is set up to do UPnP which allows the ports to be opened by the computer so it would not appear to be this that was the issue.

User uploaded file

7:40 pm Friday; March 20, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 23, 2015 10:27 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I can't send pictures (OS X screen snaps in memory pasted directly in; nor .png or .jpg files dragged into a reply) using OS X 10.9.5, Messages 8.0, logged into AOL: api.oscar.aol.com Port: 443, √ SSL to someone using OS 10.10, Messages 8, logged in with an Apple account. Both on the network with the first two octets of the network number the same (e.g., 222.59.x.x). Of course, traffic leaves and returns to the network via AOL and Apple servers, respectively.

"A direct connection could not be established" "The connection was refused"

ichat, jpg file will not transfer but eps files do transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.