Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 3.1 (early 2008) and nVIDIA Quadro FX5600

Hi all,

I am triying to install nVIDIA Quadro FX5600 on a Mac Pro 3.1 (early 2008).

Well, indeed I have been using this graphics card in this computer already, however, a few hours after installing the card, I updated the Mac OS, and there began the problems.

Characteristics:

-Mac Pro 3.1 (early 2008)

-2 x 2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

-12GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Graphics cards:

-slot 1: ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

-slot 2: nVIDIA Quadro FX5600

The story is a little bit long, however I think it is important to give the maximum information:

1-I purchased the nVIDIA Quadro FX5600, and took the computer and the card to an apple reseller to install it.

2-They installedit, physically, in slot 2, and left in slot 1 the ATI Radeon, the card included in the computer when I purchased it.

3-They told me that after installing the drivers in Mac OS 10.10.2, when restarting the computer after installing, they had kernel panic problems.

4-They installed the card in another Mac computer with Mac OS 10.9.5 to check if the card was compatible with Mac, and it worked perfectly.

5-And finally, "they say", that they repeated the same operation than in point 2 and 3, also in my computer, and this time they didn't have kernel panic problems. So I took the computer at home, ready to use my new graphics card 😀

6-When I arrived at home, I worked about 4/5 hours with the computer, and before ending the day and closing the computer, I installed two Mac updates. One of them was a security update and the other one an iMovie update. The first one worked, however the iMovie one didn't, it gave an error. I decided to give no importance and close the app store.

7-Just after closing the app store, it appeared a message from nVidia controller, saying that there was a new update. So I install it, and once installed, it recommended to restart the computer, so I restarted.

8-When the computer restarted, before loading the Mac OS desktop, they appeared the kernel panic problems, and seconds after the computer restarted automatically again. The same thing continuosly, all the time.

9-The computer's disk is divided into two parts, Mac OS and Windows 7 professional. So I decided to erase all the content in the Mac OS part and install the OS 10.10.2 again from zero (I have a copy in time machine of all my documents).

10-Once Mac OS 10.10.2 (14C1510) installed again, I have installed the Quadro & Geforce Mac OS X driver release 343.02.02 again which is the driver compatible with the operative system.

11-The same problem has occured, when restarting the computer after installing the drivers, the same problem as in point 3 occurs again.

12-I repeated the same operation as in point 9 and 10, however, this time, before restarting the computer after installing the nVIDIA drivers, I installed the CUDA 6.5.46 driver, and the same problem has occured.

The key is that the computer has been working with this graphics card, however, the story has turned crazy...

Anyone has experienced the same problems? Any clue about it?

Many thanks in advanced!

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Mac OS 10.10.2 (14C1510)

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply
8 replies

Mar 12, 2015 5:48 PM in response to lllaass

Many thanks for your help Illaass 😀

Following the post in macrumors, I've downloaded nVIDIA WebDriver-343.02.02b04 and it seems to work 😀 😀 😀

Once restarting the computer after installing the drivers they indicate, the computer has restarted as normal, without any kernel panic.

However, I have a little doubt. Maybe has no sense this question, but I don't have any previous experience on installing a graphics card.

In slot 1 I have the ATI Radeon card, and on slot 2 the nVIDIA card, so which one is working?

By the way, I have bootcamp installed, with Windows 7 professional running. Do you know if it is possible to install the card in Windows operative system?

Many thanks once more!

Mar 13, 2015 3:56 AM in response to junkerxl

You probably read how that 10.10.2 security update changed the build number of the OS, how Apple is still using really old Nvidia driver from 10.8.2.

So called "Security Update 2015-002" from today will purposely break nVidia drivers! ( 1 2 3)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1853748

Mixing ATI and Nvidia in older versions of Windows was a no-no.

With 10.10 I would ditch the 2600XT, it is doing nothing for you except taking up a slot.

you really just could ask and no need to drag 60 lbs and have someone else put a GPU in and attach the 6-pin aux power.

Another site along with MacIntouch to check daily and keep your eye on:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

Nvidia Graphics Driver Update for OS X 10.10.2 w/Security Update 2015-002
Nvidia download page for Graphics driver 343.02.02f03 for OS X 10.10.2 (build 14C1510). Here's a clip from the main D/L page tab (other than version info typical boilerplate).

"New in Release 343.02.02f03
Graphics driver updated for OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 (14C1510) Contains performance improvements and bug fixes for a wide range of applications.
Includes NVIDIA Driver Manager preference pane."

See linked page for more info. (As of March 12th post date still links to Cuda 6.5.46 from January 28th but that could change.)

Mar 13, 2015 5:00 AM in response to junkerxl

junkerxl wrote:

However, I have a little doubt. Maybe has no sense this question, but I don't have any previous experience on installing a graphics card.

In slot 1 I have the ATI Radeon card, and on slot 2 the nVIDIA card, so which one is working?

Check System Report -> Graphics/Displays and you can check which GPU is supporting the monitor. OS X knows that there are dual-GPUs and will use GPUs as necessary, including GPU switching. This is very prevalent on Mac notebooks with dual GPUs (Intel - integrated and AMD/nVidia - discreet ).

By the way, I have bootcamp installed, with Windows 7 professional running. Do you know if it is possible to install the card in Windows operative system?

Yes. A similar discussion may help you with the steps - Re: Mac Pro 1,1 2007 will work with PC version of 5870 but drivers do not work in windows 7. If you do run into issues, please post a new discussion in the BC discussions. You need to ensure both GPUs have updated drivers, otherwise you will get random black screens. Windows does not support dual GPUs very well. W8/W10 are much better than older versions like W7, etc.

Mar 13, 2015 5:07 AM in response to The hatter

Hi hatter!

About Apple's security update, yeah, that's right, all the info in that post from macrumors is correct, it has been very helpful 😀

However, the driver you are sharing, Graphics driver 343.02.02f03 for OS X 10.10.2 in my case this one didn't work. Once installed, when restarting the computer, kernel panic problems appeared. And exactly the same installing 343.02.02f02 driver.

The driver that has worked in my case is WebDriver-343.02.02b04.pkg which someone shared in the mentioned post from macrumors. After installing and restarting everything has worked as normal.

About 2600XT, yeah, I also think so, once having nVIDIA installed it has no use, as I only have one monitor.

However, I'm not sure if I've understood it correctly, do you mean that if I have another monitor I can run Mac OS and Windows at the same time? The information I have is that if I am running Mac OS for example, and I have another monitor, the 2600XT can be used by this second monitor. However, if I can run Mac OS and Windows at the same time would be awesome! 😀

Many thanks also for the links, very helpful all the information! 😀

Mac Pro 3.1 (early 2008) and nVIDIA Quadro FX5600

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.