Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I merge two iPhoto libraries?

I have two macs and I am getting rid of one. Is there an easy way to merge the two libraries? I have seen older posts regarding this that mention the use of some 3rd party software.... was just wondering if there is an easier way in the newer versions of iPhoto. Thanks!

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 2:53 PM

4 replies

Mar 12, 2015 3:27 PM in response to bgeo

iPhoto does not support to merge libraries.

Aperture can do it, but it would be a bit expensive to invest into Aperture now, if you cannot ask someone who owns it to merge the libraries for you (se: Aperture 3.3: How to use Aperture to merge iPhoto libraries)

Or the full version of iPhoto Library Manager, see: Fat Cat Software – iPhoto Library Manager

See these Manual pages: Merging libraries from two different Macs

Merging libraries

May 3, 2015 6:58 AM in response to Raicya

Raicya wrote:

The best way is to keep / to save al photo's on an extern hard disk first before import de photo's to iPhoto or any other photo program, so you never need to merge two iPhoto libraries and never need a third party software.

It is also a kind of backup next to Time Machine.

The question is about merging iPhoto libraries - this answer does not address that in any way and provided no information about merging libraries - the answer to the question has been posted - it is not possible with iPhoto - it is only possible with either iPhoto Library Manageror Aperture

LN

How can I merge two iPhoto libraries?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.