Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing 2 CPU board with 1 CPU board in MacPro4,1

Does anybody know if it is possible to replace the complete dual CPU processor board (tray) of a MacPro4,1, with a single CPU processor board of the same model? I do not wish to use 2 CPU's anymore and downgrade to a single CPU to have more and cheaper upgrade options. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), null

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 5:01 PM

8 replies

Mar 13, 2015 1:07 AM in response to voidcom

I've done a bit more research here and stumbled over the following.

The MacPro4,1 (early 2009) apparently ships with 2 different Backplane boards:

Ver. 1 p/n: 661-4996, EEE codes: 1LT, 7A1

Ver. 2 p/n: 661-5444, EEE codes: CU7, DD4G, A71 BH7

The 8-core Processor board: p/n: 661-4998, EEE codes: 1LU, BXZ, DCVH

The 4-core Processor board: p/n: 661-4999, EEE codes: 4MF, BY0, DCVJ

According to the above, there is no specific Backplane for the 4-core or 8-core Processor board. So the Processor boards are interchangeable.

What I don't know yet is the difference between ver. 1 and ver. 2 Backplane boards:

According to some readings, the best way to find if a part is correct is to match the EEE code. My 8-core Processor board has the following Barcode:

J5906F1UH1LUB, which means according to xxxxxxxEEEx, the EEE code is 1LU. And the link below suggest that 1LT should be the corresponding Backplane board. I obviously have a ver. 1 Backplane board.

Does anyone know the difference between ver. 1 and 2 Backplane boards?

What 4-core Processor board would be a match for Backplane with EEE 1LT?

Mar 13, 2015 11:03 AM in response to voidcom

FWIW, I found the following:

http://www.thebookyard.com/product.php?products_id=6690

http://www.thebookyard.com/product.php?products_id=6691

Version 1 is only suitable for replacing logic boards with an EEE code of 7A1.

Version 2 is suitable for replacing logic boards with an EEE code of CU7 or DD4G but is a replacement for the version 1 backplane board which carries the EEE code 7A1 and so may also be used in place of this original version.

However, so far I have not been able to find out what the difference is and whether it really matters.

Mar 19, 2015 8:20 AM in response to DPArt

Thanks for the response.

I can confirm that replacing a 8-core with a quad-core processor board worked fine. I did not pay attention to the EEE number, so either I was lucky or it simply does not matter. The SMC version of the system and CPU board is the same 1.39f5.

I'm going to upgrade the firmware to 5,1 next using the special firmware app. Obviously I can only patch a working unit, so if I patch the system and the quad cpu board to 5,1, I would probably run into trouble when plugging the 8-core back in, which is still on 4,1? Will the system see the 8-core board at all? I guess what I will have to do prior to installing the 8-core again is simply to downgrade the system firmware back to 4,1. Luckily, this can be done.

Mar 21, 2015 3:13 AM in response to voidcom

It turns out there is no problem to exchange the quad-core CPU board with the 8-core CPU board even after upgrading from Mac Pro 4,1 to 5,1 using the special firmware upgrade tool. The tool installs a different boot rom, but does not update the SMC version of the CPU board and system, which have to match.

For more detailed info: Installing MacPro5,1 Processor Tray into MacPro4,1

Replacing 2 CPU board with 1 CPU board in MacPro4,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.