Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't set up iCloud mail on Android 4.2.2 phone

I have a new unlocked Samsung Galaxy Ace 4 specifically for traveling to other countries with, and I have tried just about everything I can think of and every combination of server settings, and can't get past the first stage of setting up my iCloud email to work on this device. I was able to successfully add two other accounts (my own domain IMAP and another internet provider POP). Only the iCloud account won't set up due to "authentication failed".

I have tried the stock/ default Android mail client as well as a third party client, Aqua Mail. Neither can connect to the iCloud servers. I even tried changing my iCloud password, which was a pain, because you are not allowed to change it back to what it was before. I have tried all settings for SSL / TLS (when I select TLS, I get "No response from Server") , all combinations of my user name (with and without .mac and .me), both using and not using IMAP prefixes. This is all on the initial stage of just setting up incoming email, so I can't even get to setting up outgoing.

I have searched and tried a lot with no solution. Hoping someone can help here. Thanks

Samsung Galaxy Ace 4-OTHER, Other OS

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 4:38 PM

14 replies

Jun 22, 2017 2:31 PM in response to ChupsnFush

You need to enable 2 Factor Authentication on your Apple ID and create an app specific password to use. If your account won’t allow 2 Factor Authentication, try 2 step verification.

Apple ID -Two-factor authentication

Apple ID - Using app-specific passwords

Apple ID - Two Step Verification App Specific Passwords

Apple ID - Two Step Verifications FAQ

Jun 22, 2017 12:41 PM in response to Flying Pelican

Thanks for the thread and glad you found a solution!

My problem is initially the same but unfortunately I'm still unable to access my macmail on my Android 5.1

Even though my 2 step verification has never been activated.

Cannot get any response from Apple support ( never do.)

Have changed my Apple password many times now and am ablento log in on my MB pro but still cannot set up on my Android phone? Gmail account set up is fine but just no good with Apple macmail! Hope someone out there can offer a solution.

Cheers😆

Jun 23, 2017 2:26 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric

Thanks for your suggestion :-)

Have tried to enable 2 Step Authentication but unable to as my calling code is not available on the drop down

list (I live in Samoa +685). So I do not have the option to create an "App Specific Password". Guess I live in the wrong part of the planet :-)

What's so frustrating is the for the last 4 years I have been able to access both Mac mail and Gmail without any issues so I totally flummoxed as to why my Mac mail access has dropped off?

Have also tried accessing Mac mail on 2 other friends androids and the same issue occurs so really don't know what to do now?

Thanks again Eric, much appreciated :-)

Mar 12, 2015 5:50 PM in response to Csound1

from Apple's web site - I tried these first and then other combinations:

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com - also tried using the p03- before that which was in my Mac's settings for this account, also tried using the p03- in the IMAP prefix field

• SSL Required: Yes - I also tried the 3 other available settings, including TLS and accept all for both SSL and TLS

• Port: 993 (also tried TLS / 143)

• Username: The name part of your iCloud email address (for example, emilyparker, not emilyparker@icloud.com) - I also tried using that with both @mac.com and @me.com as part of user name

• Password: Your iCloud password

I could not get past this stage with the stock / default Android mail app. However, Aqua Mail allows me to enter both incoming and outgoing server settings before connecting (which both fail).

SMTP information for the outgoing mail server

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com

• SSL Required: Yes - I also tried the 3 other available settings, including TLS and accept all for both SSL and TLSPort: 587 (also tried SSL / 465)

• SMTP Authentication Required: Yes

• Username: Your full iCloud email address (for example, emilyparker@icloud.com, not emilyparker) - I also tried using that with both @mac.com and @me.com as part of user name

• Password: Your iCloud password

Can't set up iCloud mail on Android 4.2.2 phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.