Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.0.7 crashing on startup

I am running OS 10.10.2 and when I try to launch iMovie it hangs up while loading library files then crashes. I recently upgraded to 10.0.7

Help!

iMac

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 11:02 AM

I was having the same issue, and the steps below fixed my crash on launch issue in the latest iMovie 10.0.7 update. Try this...

1. Locate your iMovie library in Finder (probably in ~/Movies).

2. Ctrl-click on it, and click Show Package Contents.

3. You should see a list of folders, one for each Event in your Library. Inside each Event folder, look for a folder called Transcoded Media. Inside that folder, look inside the folder called High Quality Media.

3. If you see any files with a filesize of zero bytes, delete it. (You could back up each file before deleting if it makes you more comfortable, but I had no problems just deleting them)

4. Relaunch the application.

After I performed these steps, and to much relief, iMovie 10.0.7 launched just fine for me again. I hope this works for you...

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2015 11:02 AM in response to Jim Jacobson

I was having the same issue, and the steps below fixed my crash on launch issue in the latest iMovie 10.0.7 update. Try this...

1. Locate your iMovie library in Finder (probably in ~/Movies).

2. Ctrl-click on it, and click Show Package Contents.

3. You should see a list of folders, one for each Event in your Library. Inside each Event folder, look for a folder called Transcoded Media. Inside that folder, look inside the folder called High Quality Media.

3. If you see any files with a filesize of zero bytes, delete it. (You could back up each file before deleting if it makes you more comfortable, but I had no problems just deleting them)

4. Relaunch the application.

After I performed these steps, and to much relief, iMovie 10.0.7 launched just fine for me again. I hope this works for you...

Mar 17, 2015 2:10 PM in response to James Cude

I'm having the same problem, - running 10.0.7 and as soon as I open and try to import media, iMovie crashes. This looked like the solution, but I don't have any Transcoded Media folder in my event folders, nor could I find any High Quality Media folders. I had one Temp folder that had no contents, so I deleted that. Each of my event folders contained this, however: CurrentVersion.imovieevent. Does it seem odd that this would be in each event folder? Also, the :30 audio file I've been trying to import from iTunes shows up in the event folders in the Library, but not when I open iMovie. I'm a perpetual noob. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Jan 30, 2016 1:15 PM in response to silverdogger

My issue is the same as yours. Did you ever solve it?!

I don't have any Transcoded Media folder in my event folders, nor could I find any High Quality Media folders. I had one Temp folder that had no contents, so I deleted that. Each of my event folders contained this, however: CurrentVersion.imovieevent. Does it seem odd that this would be in each event folder? Also, the :30 audio file I've been trying to import from iTunes shows up in the event folders in the Library, but not when I open iMovie. I'm a perpetual noob. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Aug 30, 2016 5:31 PM in response to Gjmh

Got this from another forum and it seems to work.

Have you already tried to remove the iMovie preferences? If elements of the user interface are unresponsive, removing the Preferences frequently will help.

To remove the iMovie Preferences quit iMovie, if it is running, then hold down the options key and command key simultaniously, while launching iMovie. Keep holding down the keys firmly until you are seeing a prompt to remove the preference. Confirm.

iMovie 10.0.7 crashing on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.